Snowsport Jackets

Top Picks

How we choose: The best snowsport jackets highlighted here were selected based on 76 reviews of 56 products. Our top picks are those that are readily-available in the United States and have received the highest overall ratings from reviewers.

How we test: Trailspace is powered entirely by our community of readers. The reviews posted here reflect the real-world experiences of outdoor enthusiasts just like you.

If you've used a snowsport jacket that you think should be listed here, please share your experience.

Disclosure: Trailspace never accepts payment for gear reviews, product placement, or editorial coverage. When you buy through affiliate links on our site, Trailspace may earn a small commission, which helps cover the costs of running the site.

Patagonia Primo Jacket

user rating: 4.5 of 5 (7 reviews)

Bombproof, high quality and stylish. The Primo is totally waterproof, highly breathable, lightweight and comfortable and fully featured.

• Performance
  • Features
  • Fit

Reasons to Avoid

• Price, but you get what you pay for and Patagonia lasts forever

The Primo is an awesome piece of kit. For me at 5'11" and 40" chest the fit in medium is good, allowing for layering (I've worn base layer, fleece and gilet without feeling restricted) and the cut allows for completely comfortable movement without anything pulling or binding. The fit suits me fine, just long enough in the sleeves and waist but not so much as I look like a park grom. The Goretex is totally waterproof, highly breathable, lightweight and comfortable, it's also really tough. There are loads of features most of which are excellent.

Read more: Patagonia Primo Jacket reviews (7)

Top Snowsport Jacket / Waterproof

Patagonia PowSlayer Jacket

user rating: 4.5 of 5 (1 review)

Patagonia's PowSlayer Jacket is a premium, lightweight yet durable, waterproof snowsports jacket for the backcountry-focused skier and rider. It works equally well for inbounds and side-country trips too. Its Gore-Tex Pro fabric keeps out all types of precipitation—not just powder—reliably and comfortably all day long, though overall sizing is roomy. With its 100-percent recycled face fabric, the PowSlayer brings together environmental credibility and technical waterproof/breathable performance in a full-featured ski jacket. At $699 the PowSlayer's MSRP is decidedly steep, but if you spend your winters on snow and it fits your budget (or you find it on sale) it's an excellent long-term option. Plus, with its solid construction, recycled fabric, and Patagonia's customer service and repairs program it's a worthy investment for the dedicated skier and rider.

Reasons to Buy

• Superb waterproof protection for all types of precipitation
  • Well-constructed
  • Good range of movement
  • Loads of pockets for organization
  • Relatively low-profile, not bulky
  • Lightweight (18.3 oz, women's medium)
  • 100% recycled face fabric
  • Fair Trade Certified sewn

Reasons to Avoid

• Oversized fit, may want to size down
  • Can't fit my climbing skins in inner stash pocket
  • I remain undecided on the Cohaesive cord-lock adjustment system
  • Price—MSRP is $699, though it can be found on sale at the end of the season (like right now)

About The Patagonia PowSlayer Jacket, and its corresponding Powslayer Bibs and Pants, are lightweight, packable, waterproof Gore-Tex Pro shells designed for backcountry touring, but which work well for inbounds snowsports as well. According to Patagonia, they feature "the first 100 percent recycled nylon face fabric to deliver the highest level of durable waterproof/breathable and windproof protection available." Weight: men's 19.3 oz / women's 18.4 oz (my women's medium weighs 18.3 oz) Material: 100% recycled nylon ripstop Gore-Tex Pro fabric Fit and Comfort The PowSlayer is roomier than other medium-size jackets I've worn, including ones from Patagonia.

Read more: Patagonia PowSlayer Jacket review (1)

Patagonia SnowDrifter Jacket

user rating: 4.5 of 5 (1 review)

Patagonia's SnowDrifter Jacket is a full-featured snowsports jacket that could be stretched for use to hiking or backpacking.

Reasons to Buy

• Lightweight compared to its peers
  • Stretch fabric
  • Flat, glued seams
  • Generous sleeve length
  • RECCO reflector
  • 70% recycled fabric
  • Available in men's and women's styles

Reasons to Avoid

• Pockets are not pack belt-compatible

I don't remember if this is right BEFORE or right AFTER I crashed into a tree. Don't worry, the jacket is fine!   You probably want a light jacket that will keep you dry and give you the features you need.  When those needs include a powder skirt, some stretchiness, breathability, durability, and a RECCO reflector, reaching for the Patagonia Snowdrifter Jacket is a smart idea. I'd love to tell you that this jacket does things that no other jacket does or that it's the best at one specific thing but, to be honest, it just does everything really well, but doesn't really stand out in any one category.

Read more: Patagonia SnowDrifter Jacket review (1)

Trew Powfunk Jacket

user rating: 4.5 of 5 (1 review)

The Trew Powfunk is an excellent snowsports jacket. It has the best waterproofing and windproofing capabilities I've seen in any piece of clothing, it's extremely durable, it looks sick, and it has tons of small features that make it a great buy. That being said, it is quite pricey at $375, but is good enough for multiple years of heavy use.

• Waterproof
  • Looks sick
  • Lots of features

• Expensive
  • No insulation

Fit and Comfort The Trew Powfunk fits really well. The size chart on Trew's website was accurate and the only bagginess that comes with the jacket is intentional for the looser freeride style many athletes opt towards today. The hood on mine fits over a size medium helmet and doesn't slide around while on, however, the neckline must be unzipped slightly before putting the hood up. Speaking of the neckline, the neckline is extremely high, coming up to cover your chin and almost your mouth. If you're skiing in rough weather, this is great for keeping snow out of your face, but could potentially get in the way if you have a short neck.

Read more: Trew Powfunk Jacket review (1)

Patagonia Powder Bowl Jacket

user rating: 5 of 5 (1 review)

A clean, sturdy jacket that reeks of quality.

• Extremely well made
  • Waterproof pockets, lots of them!
  • Gore-Tex Performance Shell
  • Powder skirt

Reasons to Avoid

• Plastic buttons feel a bit flimsy

I bought this jacket at a super discount about a year ago, and looking back I cannot believe how lucky I was to find it; I payed 1/4 of the price for what is arguably the best piece of outdoor clothing I have ever owned! I have been using the jacket (and pants) mostly for skiing, but also for a few weekends out with the snowmobile. For skiing, this jacket is definitely doing the job. A few things that I like about it: Great breathability Very resistant to abrasion Powder skirt + loops connecting pants and jacket to keep that pesky snow from finding a way in I am a fairly large person, and though that the XL would pose some problems for layering, which is usually the case for me.

Read more: Patagonia Powder Bowl Jacket review (1)

Obermeyer Foundation Jacket

user rating: 4.5 of 5 (1 review)

I purchased this jacket in the middle of last year's ski season. It has suited me well. It is lightweight, yet warm enough with a couple of light layers underneath. It has ample pockets for everything you need pockets for on the slopes and it is absolutely waterproof.

• Insulated and warm
  • Lots of pockets including one for ski card and goggles
  • True to size
  • Waterproof
  • Easy zippers
  • Hood that fits over the helmet
  • Well made

Reasons to Avoid

• The hood does not stay in place over the helmet while skiing or when there is wind.

I bought this jacket because I was tired of being cold while skiing and I am very happy with its ability to keep me warm in temps ranging from the low teens and into the 20's (deg. F). I do wear two light base layers underneath. I do find that when the temps gets into the 30's I have to shed one layer and sometimes open the vents that are built into the jacket. I need to say that I am 65 years old and tend get colder faster than 20 years ago. The jacket is lightweight and easily packable. It has lots of pockets to suit my needs and cinch straps in different locations.

Read more: Obermeyer Foundation Jacket review (1)

The North Face Free Thinker Jacket

user rating: 4 of 5 (4 reviews)

This jacket it the ultimate ski and snowboard jacket. Not only is it completely waterproof and windproof but it is stylish as well as ultra light. Although it is thin, it will keep your body heat in, but still let body vapour out. SomeONE complained about the drop hood that the wind catches it, but considering that is is fully adjustable (so you can tighten it against your body) I don't see this being a problem. To top it off the zippers have been waterproofed, the pockets are huge, oh and did I mention it has an avalanche rescue system reflector. Also it has an elastic wind belt to stop the wind from going under the jacket. WAY TO GO NORTH FACE!

Read more: The North Face Free Thinker Jacket reviews (4)

Patagonia Rubicon Rider Jacket

user rating: 4.5 of 5 (1 review)

I've owned and used the Rubicon Rider for going on two seasons now and it has yet to let me down in the slightest. It is, first and foremost, a snowboarding jacket and in this arena it performs beautifully. The sleeve length is awesome for a tall girl and there is awesome freedom of motion without things riding up or bunching. I love the hardshell reinforcements, especially on the elbows. All in all, it serves its purpose. However, I also use this as my go-to winter jacket in the deep freeze that is a Chicago winter.

Read more: Patagonia Rubicon Rider Jacket review (1)

Columbia Bugaboo Tech Parka

user rating: 5 of 5 (1 review)

Great product improvement for one of Columbia's longest selling lines. This 3-in-1 jacket system will meet a great number of your outerwear needs!

Reasons to Buy

• Versatility in design. Three jackets in one system.
  • Aesthetics. The outer shell and inner jacket look great worn separately.
  • Function. Each component shines when used indivdually or when used as a part of a layer clothing system for changing environments.

Reasons to Avoid

• A little bulky when the wearer is seated. Unzipping the shell is helpful.

This review is specific to the Columbia Men's Bugaboo Tech II Interchange Jacket system with the quilted fiberfill inner jacket with Omni-Heat body heat reflective technology and Omni-Tech outer shell water repellency and breathability technology. I've been a customer of Columbia Sportswear for decades as The North Face, Patagonia, and products from other high-end outerwear manufacturers are stupid-expensive and don't offer any significantly higher levels of quality than Columbia. Quality of materials, workmanship, variety, performance, and aesthetics are pretty much the same between all high-end manufacturers.

Read more: Columbia Bugaboo Tech Parka review (1)