Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro

Great entry level hammock at a decent price. The Grand…

Price Paid: $40--watch for sales on Campmor!

Summary

Great entry level hammock at a decent price.

Pros

• Lightweight (cuts 3lbs of gear from my pack)
  • Mosquito-proof
  • Can be set up in places tents can't go

Cons

• Storage pockets are worthless
  • Hanging ropes are "okay." I replaced them.

The Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro has been my entry experience into hammock camping. I originally bought this hammock on a whim because it was on sale dirt cheap. It's a great entry level hammock for those curious about hammock camping, but not wanting to spend a fortune.

This is a revision of my original review, as I have used and learned much more about hammock camping in the last year.

Weighing in a 28oz. the Skeeter Beeter and fly shaves nearly 2lbs off my pack, when you take into account  the weight of a tent and footprint. While a true Ultralitest will just sleep on the ground with a tarp, I found the comfort of sleeping in a hammock is worth the extra ounces. Plus, the No-See-Um mosquito netting gives me what I need from a full tent. Adding a rain fly (in my case the Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp) protects from the elements.

In the past year, I have spent a total of 20 nights in this hammock in all kinds of weather. I have slept in heavy snow, pouring rain, and nighttime temperatures ranging from mid-70's down to 23°F. I've retreated to my hammock as the mosquitoes have become unbearable.

When mosquito netting is not needed. The Skeeter Beeter hammock can be flipped over and used like a traditional hammock. The picture below shows some modifications. I've added a hammock "ridgeline" made of Amsteel Blue. I replaced the prussic cords that came with the original hammock with Whoopie Slings made by Dutchware.

946385_10151450925861129_1514991057_n.jp

A note on the hanging ropes that come with the Skeeter Beeter: They're "okay." If you are car camping or backyard hanging they'll do fine. If you are planning on using this for backpacking, there are lighter and better options out there.

Another limitation are the pockets. Grand Trunk's website states:

Two interior storage pockets keep smaller items organized (like the ones in a tent)

These are basically worthless sewn on pockets. I tried placing my Android phone in one—it fell out. My headlamp in the other...it fell out. I ended up just hanging everything off my hammock ridgeline in a small stuff sack.

Finally, I'm not a fan of the shock cord system to hang the mosquito netting. Ditching their shock cord, I use Dutch Ridgeline Biners (again Dutchware) to clip it to the TARP ridgeline (clipping it to the hammock ridgeline leaves is dropping in your face.

In summary: If you are looking to try hammock camping, this is a good place to start (Do your research though. Hammock camping is not as "intuitive" as pitching a tent...but OH! so much better!).

Nice hammock for Florida. Two in one with netting.

Summary

Nice hammock for Florida. Two in one with netting.

Pros

• Size
  • Zippered side entry
  • All in one stuff sack

Cons

• Ridgeline
  • Steel, heavy caribeeners

Other than setting it up in backyard, I have not camped with it. It does appear to have lot of room. The side entry with net makes it easy to get in.

My biggest complaint is the tree strap setup. It is not long enough and also does not go with Leave No Trace principles. They were replaced with the ENO Atlas straps.

Outside of the straps, it falls in line with most gathered end hammocks. The center ridge line could also have come with some type of hook system to make it easier to set up.

Great hammock, perfect for buggy climates, quality…

Summary

Great hammock, perfect for buggy climates, quality materials.

Pros

• Good bug net
  • You can flip it if there are no bugs

Cons

• The suspension that is included is not great

Solid hammock, works as you would expect a hammock to. Dimensions are plenty long, and wide enough, although I would prefer it if it were a little wider. Bug net works, zipper seems good quality. If there are no bugs and you don't want to sleep under the net, you can flip the hammock and sleep on the other side.

Overall quite impressed. The only detractor I found was a crummy suspension that was included. This wasn't a huge issue or me because I had planned to replace it anyways, but something to consider nonetheless.

The Skeeter Beeter Pro hammock is made from parachute nylon and has an attached no-see-um mosquito net to protect you against insects.

- Grand Trunk

Grand Trunk designed the Skeeter Beeter Pro Hammock with a No See-Um mesh mosquito net so you can sleep bug-free. Double-sided zippers seal you in while the nautical grade-carabiners and triple-stitched parachute nylon hold you securely off the ground. Two storage pockets give you a safe-and-sound way to stow your valuables. The hanging kit is included so all you have to do is find a couple of obliging trees and then fall asleep.

The Skeeter Beeter is your bug fighting portable hammock solution. Combines all the great features as the original Travel Hammock Skeeter Beeeter Hammock, except now made with their super strong and durable parachute nylon material. Attached NO-SEE-UM mosquito net mesh and double sided zipper makes for easy in and out, 2 pockets on inside for storage and overhead suspension system for easy set up. Comes complete with everything you need to use and won't disappoint when bugs are an issue.

- CampSaver.com

Free Shipping. Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro Hammock FEATURES of the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro Hammock Grey No-See-Um Mesh Triple Stitching Double Sided Zipper Net Suspension Kit Included Two Inside Storage Pockets SPECIFICATIONS of the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro Hammock Dimension: (L x W): 10'6in. x 5' Weight: 28 oz Capacity: 400 lbs 100% Polyester Nylon Nutical Grade Carabiners

Grand Trunk Skeeter-Beeter Pro HammockThe Grand Trunk Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock keeps bugs away from you while you relax. This is a lightweight parachute, it is made of nylon silk, and this hammock has a built on no-see-um mesh canopy to keep bugs out and an incredible load capacity of 400 lbs. It features a full-length zipper that simplifies getting in and out. It includes a rope to keep the canopy suspended. It has two inner pockets on the mesh to keep your glasses, knife, flashlight, or whatever in a convenient and close location. It is easy to use without the screen. Discover the ease and comfort of hammock life with the Grand Trunk Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.

- SunnySports