Granite Gear Nimbus Trace Access 85

My favorite pack for heavy loads. I owned and enjoyed…

Summary

My favorite pack for heavy loads.

Pros

• Great fit for my back, so heavy loads feel much lighter
  • High quality, durable materials
  • Unique maple frame
  • Center panel opens easily for quick pack access

Cons

• So many straps can be cumbersome
  • No hip-belt pockets, just straps to attach things to

I owned and enjoyed using a 2012 Baltoro 75 for four years before discovering the Nimbus Trace. The maple frame fits me better so I've used this pack since 2016. Carries heavy loads comfortably because frame fits my back perfectly! Definitely try it on for fit.

Lots of straps to cinch down loads so nothing shifts. Cordura fabric holds up really well, virtually scratch/tear-proof. Lots of customizable options in shoulder strap and hip-belts sizes. I use large shoulder straps with a regular hip-belt.

Like the Baltoro, there's center panel access. But the Nimbus Trace is easier to get to quickly. There's a stretchy pocket down the center that is perfect for carrying tent poles or a wet rain fly.

Been using this for weekend and weeklong trips, typically 45+lbs because I carry extra gear for scouts. Listed at 85 liters, but doesn't feel much more than my older Baltoro 75. Still, there's plenty of room for a Garcia bear canister and a week's worth of gear.

Welcome to Trailspace, Benjamin! Thanks for the review of your pack.