Gregory Contour 60 Pack

Think and Try before you buy it. I just came back…

Price Paid: US $279

Summary

Think and Try before you buy it.

Pros

Cons

• Space can't be used efficiently
  • Shoulder and hip belts need more padding
  • Confusing straps

I just came back from a 3-day trekking with my Contour 60 pack. In these three days, I found there are more Cons than Pros on this pack. I will list some annoyed things in my personal priority.

1. This pack was designed to have spaces for camp, trail, and on-the-go. However, the "trail" and "on-the-go" are "linked" by 2 side straps. That is to say, no matter I want to take stuff from either "trail" or "on-the-go", I have to open all the straps.

When arriving at camping site and need to take camping stuffs out, I still need to open the side strap if I would like to open the side zipper. The design idea is fine, but they are all interlocked.
  2. The curved shape at the base makes it very difficult to fully use the space inside. This also makes the actual usable space probably 10 liter less than what it should have.
  3. Two side pockets are too deep and hard to reach. If you drop your Swiss Army Knife in there, you will have to put your pack on the ground for finding it.
  4. Two side pockets have very narrow open. Once I take out my water bottle, it is impossible for me to put it back with one hand.
  5. This pack was designed to load stuffs with "outward" pattern instead of "upward" pattern, therefore, there is always a force tries to pull me back. The GC of this pack is too far away from my body GC.
  6. This pack has tons of straps and harnesses, very easy to get confused.

Other than those annoyed features above, there are still some good features.

1. Light weight.
  2. Good ventilation.
  3. Suspension system does a good job.

Summary:

These are all my personal opinions, others may feel OK. But I suggest you to try it in the shop before paying money.

If you've owned or used a Gregory Contour 60 Pack, please share your experience.