Gregory Z40

It's not the lightest pack of this size, but it is…

Summary

It's not the lightest pack of this size, but it is very comfortable so far, and seems very durable.

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Packs down nice when empty
  • Very durable
  • Includes rain cover
  • Breathable back
  • Reasonable weight

Cons

• Tiny waistbelt pockets

I like this pack. iI've had it for about a week now and I've put probably 15 tough miles on it with about 25 lbs of gear. I've hauled it up a few two-mile long steep mt sides and back down, through some semi-dense brush, and of course on some semi-level trail type ground. I do a lot of hiking where there isn't always a trail, and this pack hugs my body very well, while still providing air flow to most of my back. It's a great design.

It has access points from the top, bottom, and the front, leaving plenty of options for you to get at all of your gear very easily. A folding top flap with two pockets in it. The top one is much larger, the bottom (on the under-side of the flap) is more of a secret pocket. The inside of the bag has a flap and a zipper for an optional separate sleeping bag compartment, a water bladder sleeve that goes all the way to the bottom of the pack, and two ports for the hose, one on the outside of each shoulder strap.

There are 2 outside mesh pockets, 1 on each side of the pack, and 2 mesh pockets on the waist belt. Unfortunately the belt pockets are the only part of this bag that I consider somewhat of a waste, due to their almost useless size. I don't know if my headlamp even fits in them.

Edit 3/14:

It's been a while. I use the crap out of this bag and I love it. Always comfortable, and durability is never a concern. I have complete faith in this pack lasting me a very long time through all of my adventures.

20130618_162444.jpg

Most comfortable pack I have owned. Great padding…

Summary

Most comfortable pack I have owned. Great padding without being to cumbersome. Great from travel, day and multi-day hikes.

Pros

• Gread padding in waist and shoulders
  • Instant access to entire inside at once

Cons

• A bit on the heavy side
  • Top flap not removable

I have had this bag for the last three months, including a cross-country road trip, with lots of day hikes. This bag has been with me to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back on a three-day trip.  Most recently I just spent the last month traveling around Turkey with this bag. It was small enough to fit under my seat during bus trips within the country, but big enough to hold everything i needed for a 3 day hike. Also worked well for day hikes using the compression straps on either sides. This bag is also small enough to fit in the over head compartments of airplanes so could be used as carry-on luggage.

Access to the main compartment was easy with the main zipper, which avoids the problem that most "tunnel" style backpacks have. Which is that you have to take every thing out to access things buried at the bottom great for trips where you sleep in different place every night. Extremely comfortable even when overloaded. Spent the last day overloaded walking around Istanbul with about 20kgs worth of gear and barely noticed.  Extremely comfortable Im 6 ft 200 lbs and the large size fit me like a glove.  an added bonus is the integrated rain cover pocket with rain cover.

I'm pretty hard on my gear and the pack seems to be holding its own. A few nicks and scrapes here and there but the construction seems to be solid.

I love this pack! I was looking for a pack that could…

I love this pack! I was looking for a pack that could get small enough for a day pack but also get big enough to hold my gear for an overnighter. It did the job. The crossflow system provides excellent air flow to avoid the sweaty back.

Without a rainfly it did well in wet conditions but not in a downpour. That's why I'm glad they added the rainfly. I also like how they added the sleeping back compartment in the bottom.

Overall this is an amazing pack!

If you've owned or used a Gregory Z40, please share your experience.

Gregory Z40