A great daypack or ultralight weekend pack. I use…

Summary

A great daypack or ultralight weekend pack.

Pros

• Fit
  • Capacity
  • Durability
  • Design

Cons

• Water bottle access

I use this as a day pack to haul around camera gear in addition to all the usual hiking gear. I'm typically carrying 30 to 35 pounds in this pack and it handles the load very well.

The pack straps and waist belt are really comfortable and easily adjusted. The padding is firm, but not as firm as in the Gregory expedition packs—appropriate for the loads this is designed to carry.

The top knot pocket is fairly large and easily holds snacks, gps, headlamp, first aid kit and a map. The stash pocket on the back can hold rain gear or it can be stowed in the generous zip pocket. It comes with a rain cover and I've used it a few times in heavy downpours without a hitch—it works great.

This is a great high capacity daypack and I can, and do, use it year round, including for backcountry skiing. It's comfortable and stable enough to use alpine touring. It's just a great all-rounder.

My one gripe: It's hard for me to reach my water bottle, and I can't replace it with the pack on.

Other than this, this is the best daypack I've ever owned (and I've owned at least a dozen).

Nice review of your Zulu, JAW. Sounds like a versatile pack. If you have some pictures of it in use, those would be great to see in your review.

Nick Mesarhakis

As far as I can tell this pack can accommodate a pair of walking poles or ice axes as well. I've also seen the showcase video and it has the same mesh back panel as osprey's anti gravity system AND dynamic support system like in BD's expensive ones. Safe to say that this might be my next daypack. Thanks Jaw.