Grivel Nepal Steel

This axe has been great for me so far. The durability…

This axe has been great for me so far. The durability seems excellent. I've banged it around on rocks and dirt plenty and other than some scratches it's untouched.

I got mine used and expect to continue using it for along time, but the coating on the pick has come off in places and allows it to rust. This is a purely aesthetic problem but I mention it nonetheless.

I find it easy and comfortable to grip in a variety of ways even with mittens. The pick is nice and long, and has worked well for me to arrest even in softer snow. The adze is a very comfortable size in hand, and digs well.

As climbing gear is getting lighter and lighter I see my buddies carrying slightly lighter axes and am occasionally jealous. This axe isn't exactly a brick, but the Raven Pro and others shave a few ounces.

The weight factor is the only reason I rate it 4/5, but on durability, comfort and function it's a 5 for sure.

The Nepal Steel is a non-technical ice axe ideal for trekking, classic snow climbs, rental programs, and schools. The carbon-steel head features a classically inclined pick with teeth along half its length. The body and pick are hot, drop forged in one piece, then the stamped adze is welded to it. The Ergal shaft surpasses UIAA norms for strength and durability; it is coated with black, epoxy-based paint.

- Ramsey Outdoor

Grivel Nepal Steel

The Nepal Steel has been discontinued.

The Grivel Nepal Steel is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 28, 2009 at Ramsey Outdoor.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering axe/piolet, check out the best reviewed current models.