Grivel Racing Wing

I wanted a tool that would take me on the ice and,…

I wanted a tool that would take me on the ice and, later, on rock. The Racing Wings were my best bet. The overall feel is very solid and comfortable. I took a knife and shaved the rubber liners in the handles; they were giving me blisters when used ungloved. The curve of the handle makes the Evolution and Goulotte picks impractical for waterfall use; I learned the hard way. Swinging the Cascade or Mixte is heavenly. Even carrying the hammer and adze is comfortable; the balance is fantastic. I found that I overswing sometimes and that they stay in place very well.

If I had it to do all over again, I would still get the Racing Wings, seconded by the Ta-K-oons (or whatever they're called.) I just like the balance of these axes so much...

I have swung the Simond Anaconda Cups and like them both but realize how aggressive the Racing Wings are. I feel very confident in the placement of these axes where I would only feel good if swinging the Cups very hard.

Grivel has developed a new handle with three different positions.

- GearX.com

Grivel Racing WingOn arriving in Courmayeur from Chamonix the alpinist feels he's on the other side of the moon. The Italian and French Alps are part of the same mountain chain yet the two sides appear completely different. Anyone used to the French side

- US Outdoor Store

Free Shipping. Grivel Racing Wing Ice Tool (Fall 2006) The Racing Wing by Grivel was developed from various tool modifications made specifically for Ice World Cup competition. Tools need huge clearance to reach over radical features and they must offer a neutral hand position to reduce fatigue on overhanging terrain. Since it is difficult to swing the tool efficiently into ice from this position, sometimes referred to as the trucker s honk the Racing Wing s grip offers a Swing position as well, which locates the index finger at the apex of the grip s curve to produce a natural, powerful and controllable swing. The positive head-to-shaft weight ratio accelerates swing speed to penetrate hard ice. The Match position on the shaft allows one to match on a tool (distributing force between both arms) or switch tool from one hand to the other. The (3.5mm) Cascade pick performs well on ice but provides elasticity while torquing, and the beefy Mixte pick is for dry-tooling where strength and durability are critical. Specs & Tech Blade interchangeable Materials ChroMoly steel Construction hot-forged head CE - Shaft Resistance 400 kg T

The Grivel Racing Wing leashless ice tool is designed with three distinct grip positions to allow you to climb ice and mixed terrain equally well.

- Backcountry Outlet

Grivel Racing Wing

The Racing Wing has been discontinued.

The Grivel Racing Wing is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 27, 2009 at GearX.com.

If you're looking for a new ice tool, check out the best reviewed current models.