Grivel Racing Wing

I wanted a tool that would take me on the ice and,…

I wanted a tool that would take me on the ice and, later, on rock. The Racing Wings were my best bet. The overall feel is very solid and comfortable. I took a knife and shaved the rubber liners in the handles; they were giving me blisters when used ungloved. The curve of the handle makes the Evolution and Goulotte picks impractical for waterfall use; I learned the hard way. Swinging the Cascade or Mixte is heavenly. Even carrying the hammer and adze is comfortable; the balance is fantastic. I found that I overswing sometimes and that they stay in place very well.

If I had it to do all over again, I would still get the Racing Wings, seconded by the Ta-K-oons (or whatever they're called.) I just like the balance of these axes so much...

I have swung the Simond Anaconda Cups and like them both but realize how aggressive the Racing Wings are. I feel very confident in the placement of these axes where I would only feel good if swinging the Cups very hard.

Grivel Racing Wing

The Racing Wing has been discontinued.

The Grivel Racing Wing is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 27, 2009 at

If you're looking for a new ice tool, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review