Grivel Salamander

A very comfortable helmet that has multiple sizes…

Summary

A very comfortable helmet that has multiple sizes available. A great helmet for ice climbing, rock climbing, and mountaineering. Comes in multiple colors.

Pros

• Very comfortable fit
  • Multiple sizes
  • More side coverage than other helmets

Cons

• Could use more ventilation
  • Heavy

This is a great helmet. I own several different climbing helmets and this one has by far become my favorite across all climbing sports.

I have a large head and the multiple sizes allow me to get a good fit. Some one-size-fits all helmets are tough for me to fit.

One of the most important features I have found is the improved side protection around the ears. This prevents the helmet getting pushed to the side when I lean my head against the rock on tougher climbs.

It is also a great mountaineering helmet as it doesn't bounce around much while hiking.

It does get a bit hot in the sun. but is not much worse than any other helmet I own.

Looks like a nice helmet. Thanks for the review.

Jakuchu

I don't have this helmet, but I have to say it is very comfortable on my head. To compare to the BD Half Dome that I have: The cushioning is a bit softer, making it feel more comfortable. The turning wheel in the back to tighten the fit is more solid, as is the main shell of this helmet. It does seem warmer, and here in Japan at least it's also more expensive. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I used the helmet less then a dozen times before the…

I used the helmet less then a dozen times before the suspension in the helmet broke in the back.

I don't recommend buying from Grivel in North America anymore. I took it back to the shop so they could get it warrantied, but there is no longer a distributor in North America so you cannot get it warrantied without sending it to France.

I've been in the market for a climbing helmet for…

I've been in the market for a climbing helmet for quite some time. My problem is that I have a small melon. Kid's size even! I've tried a variety of small helmets. Some fit OK but were "kid colored" or decorated with "cool" or "rad" graphics. Some adult helmets, like the Petzl Elios, are available in a small size too, but the fit just wasn't right. The regular size (size 2) was too large, and the small (size 1) looked like I had a 2 lb. margarine tub on my head! Not enough coverage.

I found the Grivel Salamander (size small) online and decided to give it a try.

Pros: This helmet fits great. It's really light and offers full coverage of the top and back of my head without limiting mobility of, or rubbing, my neck. Even though I got the small, there are still a number clicks left in the adjustment band allowing me to wear a helmet liner, or even a wool cap. The suspension system is a lot more comfortable than the Petzl Elios, and it's less complicated too. There is a clear or smoke colored visor available for this helmet to protect your eyes from ice, dust and small debris while on belay.

Cons: The headlamp retention system could use some beefing up - front and rear elastic cords only, no side clips. Adequate, but minimal. The decals that come on the Salamander are a bit much, but they came off easily and cleanly

This helmet is not currently available at REI as this site states. I got mine at http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Grivel/idesc/Salamander+Helmet/Store/MG/item/210189/N/0

More info at www.grivel.com