GSI Collapsible Java Drip

Weight 4.8 oz
Dimensions 5.60 in x 5.50 in x 1.00 in
Materials Silicone and Clear Polypropylene

This is it! If you're looking for a great cup-o-Joe…

Summary

This is it! If you're looking for a great cup-o-Joe on the trail, this is the product that will do it for you.

Pros

• Packs relatively small
  • Quick, easy clean-up
  • Brews coffee just like you get at home

Cons

• Might be a bit bulky for minimalists

My wife works in a nice kitchen store, and we've tried all kinds of different devices and gadgets for making coffee in camp. This nifty GSI basket does the job with no muss, no fuss, and easy clean up.

It works on the same principles as a standard automatic drip coffee maker.  Just put a filter and some ground coffee into the basket, pour hot water, and in a few minutes you'll have a great cup of caffeine addiction.  When done, simply toss the filter and grounds, rinse the basket, and collapse it into the holder. Easy!

I used this on a week-long moto camping trip in Death Valley last year.  There were seven of us, and we filled an insulated carafe every morning with fresh, hot coffee in about 10 minutes. It was a crowd pleaser.

I've had this for about a year or so, through 10 camping trips and numerous uses at work, and so far it's holding up very nicely. For $12, you simply cannot go wrong.

A practical and compact filter holder for lovers of…

Price Paid: Probably MSRP, $13

Summary

A practical and compact filter holder for lovers of filter coffee, but a bit heavy for backpacking.

Pros

• Compact
  • Tough

Cons

• A bit heavy
  • Can seal on a thermos so that it stops dripping

The silicone rubber cone collapses onto the base and is covered by a lid that keeps it well-protected in the pack. The base and cover are made of heavy, tough plastic so it's pretty indestructible. Big enough for "4 cup" filters, really two good mugs of coffee.

It comes into the huts with us but it would be one of the first things to go if I were shaving weight for a longer trip -- I'm not above making cowboy coffee when needed, or I switch over to tea being ambicaffeineous. A filter basket would be lighter and could be stashed in a cup.

The flange at the base of the silcone rubber part happens to be the same diameter as the top of a couple of our thermoses, with the consecquence that it can actually seal on to the thermos, making and air lock that prevents it from dripping, so we have to hold or prop it up to get it to work.

The coolest thing: You can pull the lid off and just flip the cone out with flick of the wrist.

"ambicaffeineous" — I like that!

1 year ago