GSI Infinity Insulated Mug

Weight 3.2 oz
Dimensions 3.70 in x 3.70 in x 4.40 in
Materials Clear Polypropylene

The GSI Infinity Insulated Mug is my go-to backpacking…

Summary

The GSI Infinity Insulated Mug is my go-to backpacking cup. It is lightweight, sturdy, insulated, and has a lid. I use it for hot chocolate, backcountry cocktails, and Propel water mixes.

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Sturdy
  • Nice size
  • Insulates drinks well

Cons

• Lid is difficult to remove

The GSI Infinity mug is a 3.2 ounce cup that holds 17ounces of liquid. It has an insulated coozie on the outside of it that both insulates the liquid and keeps your hand from getting hot or cold.

It is made from BPA-free polypropylene. It does not absorb odors or colors and it is dishwasher safe.

GSI-2.jpg

Another nice feature of the Infinity mug is that it has a Sip it lid that has a small opening on the side of the lid. I found the size of the opening and its location to be convenient. It helps further insulate your beverage and serves as a splash guard.

GSI-1.jpg

The only thing that I do not like about the cup is that the lid is difficult to remove.

027.jpg

I have had this mug for about two years now and it has been used on every trip I've been on since it was purchased. It is very durable and sturdy. I still can not justify a need for any other mug. This one has met all of my needs.

Overall: If you are looking for a lightweight, functional, inexpensive backcountry mug, this is a great choice.

Reasonably light mug that works well as a cup or even…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Reasonably light mug that works well as a cup or even a small bowl.

• Insulated sleeve
  • Removable lid
  • Large
  • Dishwasher safe

Cons

• Lid can get stuck
  • Not microwave safe

I own the older version of this mug which had a removable lid and an insulated sleeve, but no handle and no cover over the opening in the removable lid. This mug is pretty simple, but the sleeve and the detachable lid are nice features that really help to keep heated beverages and food warm while keeping your hands from getting burnt. Additionally, the sleeve is made of neoprene-like fabric that dries quickly if it gets wet.

This is a wide mug that has the same diameter throughout that makes it ideal to use as a small bowl that is easy to get a spoon or a fork into. If used as a small bowl, it will probably not hold your entire meal in it at once.

DSCF0094.jpg
DSCF0095.jpg
DSCF0096.jpg
DSCF0097.jpg

I really like this mug because it nests perfectly inside my Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo Cookset. Additionally, the Infinity mug is large enough to hold my Coleman Isobutane-propane backpacking stove (without the fuel canister). I have also tried nesting the MSR PocketRocket inside this mug and it fits as well.

DSCF0098.jpg

This mug is very durable—there really aren't any moving parts that you can break on it. The lid can be difficult to remove at first, but after some use it comes off with ease.

Given its relatively light weight, it is good for backpacking. I also like to use this mug at home when I want a large amount of tea or coffee; however, it is not microwave safe so it is not as convenient when you want to heat something quickly.

Thanks for sharing this helpful review, Andy. Nice stickers!

Lightweight, keeps drinks hot, fun to use. Mug in…

Summary

Lightweight, keeps drinks hot, fun to use.

• Good insulation—keeps the brews HOT
  • Webbing handle is nice touch

Cons

• Lid over mouth hole is not tight

Mug in use at the Hoh Rainforest, WA

I ordered this item from Amazon, thinking I was getting the Infinity mug that had no handle. Imagine my surprise and delight when I got this model! Not only was it better-looking, it had a webbing handle!

This mug is my new favorite (my previous being an old North Face insulated mug that I got at a product seminar when I worked for an outdoor retailer in the early '90s). It's light, the insulation is fantastic, and it looks just the right amount of outdoor stylish. The lid fits tight (another reviewer thought this was not a good thing, but with a full load of hot beverage, believe me—you want that lid tight!). My only complaint was that the lid over the mouth hole did not shut tight, so if you knock the mug over, it would probably spill.

I love the fact that the mug does not retain odors, which makes it nice to switch between tea and coffee with no residual taste. That's because it's made of non-leaching, clear polypropolene that is also 100% recyclable.

The mug has an insulated sleeve that works very well; I've had a steaming mug of coffee for a long time after pouring. It also has a collapsable webbing handle, which is a very nice touch.

The 3.5 oz. weight of the mug holds a generous 17 oz. of liquid.

Well done, GSI, well done!

Overall it's not a bad mug, it's just not perfect.

Summary

Overall it's not a bad mug, it's just not perfect.

• Capacity

Cons

• Handle
  • Lip too small

Was purchased as a lightweight mug for day-hiking and backpacking use for a coffee addict.

Pros: lightweight, lid fits securely but isn't impossible to get on and off, outer insulated sleeve slides off/on easily, size of the mug isn't too big around for my stubby fingers, volume it holds is perfect, relatively easy to clean plastic mug and lid (haven't washed sleeve).

Cons: handle is too big/floppy to safely use as a true mug handle, you always have to slurp coffee off of the portion of the flip down lid that actually seats into the hole or it will drip on your nose when you tip the cup to drink, actual lip of mug could be a bit taller — I envision the edge of the neoprene sleeve getting gross in time.

Overall it's not a bad mug, it's just not perfect.

3 out of 5 stars in my opinion.