Helly Hansen Berthed 3

Excellent urban boot, poor hiker. I have owned a pair…

Price Paid: 150 Canadian

Summary

Excellent urban boot, poor hiker.

Pros

• Warm
  • Dry
  • Good comfort
  • Very durrable

Cons

• Awful grip and traction

I have owned a pair for over two years dealing with harsh Canadian winters and rainy UK fall/winter/spring. The materials held up extremely well, and after a spray with leather conditioner/wax they looked and performed good as new. The construction was very good, and even the outsoles dealt well with both hikes and concrete as they were subjected to 500+ miles of use over two years.

They were very comfortable as daily wearers, but I did notice soreness around the toes, and then the heel after 5+ hour hikes, the ankle support was however quite good (loose but comfortable with no rubbing). The water resistance was decent, but improved to very good when treated with wax.

I found these boots to be very warm, so best suited to colder temperatures.

On recent more serious mountain hikes in Scotland, I found the grip and traction to be extremely poor, resulting in several otherwise avoidable falls (which would have never happened had I been wearing my other boots/shoes).

Rather than risk future injury at 3000+ feet, I decided its best to part ways and pass them on to someone who will likely just use them for city use, as they are an excellent boot for that. I have recently donated them to a charity shop (still in excellent shape after all this shape, a testament to the excellent build quality).

Free Shipping. Helly Hansen Men's Berthed 3 Boot The SPECS Upper: Leather, Outsole: Rubber This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.