Helly Hansen HH Wool LS Crew - Women's

Sturdy, warm, and straightforward. This is not the…

Summary

Sturdy, warm, and straightforward. This is not the most comfortable wool base layer out there, but it performs beautifully in terms of fit, warmth, and durability.

Pros

• Warm

Cons

• Rough on skin
  • Expensive

This top is well made and will keep you warm. No bells, no whistles.

DSC00747.jpg

Fit & Comfort - Fit in arms, shoulders, and torso is true to size, keeping in mind that the desired fit of this top is very snug. I'd recommend trying it on before buying if you have concerns about the sizing. The wool was fine on my skin, but other backpackers found it rough/uncomfortable compared to other wool/blend options.

Breathable - Yes! This snug base layer has a lot of air flow if it's the only top you're wearing. You'll feel a breeze, so get ready to layer up if you're a cold sleeper. If you sweat in it, it will dry after short breaks in activity (if you remove your shell/top layer).

Warmth & Function - Very warm/performs as expected. This top will keep you warm, even when it is filthy, so it is great for long distance excursions. It dries quickly in the sun/wind after a rinse in a stream/lake.

Construction & Durability - This is a sturdy top that holds up well under heavy use. After 6 months of daily use it had no holes/tares, though it did end up stretching out a bit.

Cost - $90 is steep for a shirt. For my needs, the shirt delivered. I didn't have to replace it after 6 months of daily use, and it kept me warm. If you plan to use it a lot it is worth it, but for me the pricetag drives down the overall rating of this item.

How was the odor over time? I once wore a smartwool wool base for 3 months, and I was surprised how "fresh" it stayed.

Nice review, Christine!

_Christine

Hi Goose - sorry for the slow reply! Odor wasn't an issue for me (surprisingly) - over six months I probably washed it in a machine about 8 times, and it never smelled worse than any of my other gear. I did ring it out in streams and lay it in the sun from time to time also. (I convinced myself the sun cleaned my clothes).