Helly Hansen Motive Performance Jacket

A well cut, lightweight, windproof with no frills…

Fabric: Pertex (I think), Stretch nylon in the right places
Price Paid: �20

A well cut, lightweight, windproof with no frills but good design. It breathes very well, though I can still get condensation on the inside on humid days during strenuous exercise. Water repellency is still excellent after several washes -- good for showers when true waterproofs are too heavy and clammy. Dries in an instant (if I wash all my high-spec outdoor gear together, this is the first thing to be dry).

Very light and packs down well, nice reflective emblem for night-time visibility. Stretch panels really work, so a close fit is achieved without restricting movement. The small internal chest pocket is enough for a sports snack bar, keys or whatever, and being high on the chest does not suffer from jostling as much as it would on the hips.

I bought this from a Helly outlet at about 1/3 the UK rrp -- so I consider it fantastic value. I would buy one at full price now I know how good it is. Main drawbacks are lack of hood (though this is a minimalist garment so not really a problem), and lack of elastication or adjustment on the cuffs meaning it can get drafty on the arms, especially cycling.