Helly Hansen Motive Performance Jacket

A well cut, lightweight, windproof with no frills…

Fabric: Pertex (I think), Stretch nylon in the right places
Price Paid: �20

A well cut, lightweight, windproof with no frills but good design. It breathes very well, though I can still get condensation on the inside on humid days during strenuous exercise. Water repellency is still excellent after several washes -- good for showers when true waterproofs are too heavy and clammy. Dries in an instant (if I wash all my high-spec outdoor gear together, this is the first thing to be dry).

Very light and packs down well, nice reflective emblem for night-time visibility. Stretch panels really work, so a close fit is achieved without restricting movement. The small internal chest pocket is enough for a sports snack bar, keys or whatever, and being high on the chest does not suffer from jostling as much as it would on the hips.

I bought this from a Helly outlet at about 1/3 the UK rrp -- so I consider it fantastic value. I would buy one at full price now I know how good it is. Main drawbacks are lack of hood (though this is a minimalist garment so not really a problem), and lack of elastication or adjustment on the cuffs meaning it can get drafty on the arms, especially cycling.

If you've owned or used a Helly Hansen Motive Performance Jacket, please share your experience.

Helly Hansen Motive Performance Jacket

The Motive Performance Jacket has been discontinued.

The Helly Hansen Motive Performance Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at FogDog Sports.

If you're looking for a new wind shirt, check out the best reviewed current models.