Hydrapak Shape-Shift 3L

My next hydration bladder. After purchasing a Hydrapak…

Price Paid: 44 USD

Summary

My next hydration bladder.

Pros

• Almost tasteless
  • Softer (more pliable)
  • Reversible (easier cleaning/drying)
  • Easy to clean

Cons

• Very hard to baffle/unbaffle
  • Missing dust/dirt protection cap for the hose

After purchasing a Hydrapak Stash 750 ml and being very satisfied with its taste(less)ness? I searched for Hydrapak's hydration bladder options in order to replace my Source Widepak (still performs perfectly btw, just wanted to upgrade).

I came to choose the Shape-Shift 3L because of the same materials used in the Stash and its versatility.
DSC00018.jpg

DSC00019.jpg
Take some time to read the instructions. Especially the opening/closing is essential.
DSC00022.jpg
Beyond lifetime guarrantee. Your grandkids are covered so to speak lol.
DSC00020.jpg

DSC00021.jpg
The capacity when baffled is reduced from 3L to 2.5L that is helpful when you don't need much water and in order to reduce the wobbling.
DSC00024.jpg

Loving the measurement. Much needed if you want to keep stats about your hydration needs for future trips.
DSC00025.jpg

Really helpful for my BD Speed Zip 33 that supports 2L water bladders and has a more streamlined profile as opposed to my Widepac.
DSC00044.jpg

Baffled and full (2.5L).
DSC00037.jpg

And with some room to spare because of the tall streamlined profile!
DSC00047.jpg

And unbaffled (3L).
DSC00045.jpg

DSC00039.jpg
Things get pretty tight with Widepac.
DSC00041.jpg
The hose connector is a little bulky, but I don't mind.
DSC00035.jpg
My only concern is the VERY hard baffle lock/unlock.
DSC00042.jpg
Tip: To unlock the baffle and dry the bladder you have to half-reverse the bladder and THEN start the unlocking. After that reverse the other half.
DSC00043.jpg

The hose's bite valve is ergonomic due to its angle, but is missing the dust/dirt protection cap that Widepac has.

DSC00023.jpg
The bite valve's opening is larger than Widepac's resulting in 20-25% better flow in my opinion.

DSC00031.jpg
But I'll let you be the judge of that.
DSC00029.jpg
DSC00030.jpg
DSC00032.jpg
The bite valve can be removed easily by just grasping the silicone seal and pulling it away from the other half.
DSC00053.jpg
DSC00054.jpg
DSC00055.jpg

Also included: Food-grade silicone lubricant and a pack clip if your pack doesn't have a velcro loop.

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00034.jpg
Make sure to lubricate the slide seal otherwise you will have a hard time.

I've done this with an ear pick.
DSC00050.jpg
Apply here...
DSC00051.jpg
...and here.
DSC00052.jpg

I will apply silicone to the o-ring later on.
DSC00036.jpg
I still haven't put any kilometers with this bladder to comment about durability but I've seen some pretty promising clips about that.

I have the same reservoir, Nick. I hope you'll let us know how it works out for you.

Nick Mesarhakis

Thanks Alicia! Did you find any solution about the protection cap? Widepac's doesn't fit..

I don't use a protection cap, except if it's for keeping a reservoir tube and nozzle from freezing in cold temps. So it's not an issue for me.I forgot to mention, but the fact that you can reverse it for cleaning it one of my favorite reasons to use this one.

p.s. I feel like there should be some DIY hack to make a cover the bite valve...

Nick Mesarhakis

Yes, the reversing is very handy! I will keep you posted if I find anything compatible.