Ibex Meru Hat

The perfect beanie to wear under a helmet or when…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Alicia)

Summary

The perfect beanie to wear under a helmet or when you are working hard in the cold.

Pros

• It has the Trailspace logo
  • Merino wool resists odors
  • Warm when wet
  • Soft material

Cons

• Loses some elasticity once wetted

The fact is that, without a hat this day I would have been very hypothermic.

I love wearing my Trailspace logo running cap so when Alicia sent me the beanie I was double stoked because now I can rep TS in the cold as well. My favorite thing on the trail is getting asked, "What is Trailspace?"

bIMG_0043.jpg
A very, very wet day on Mount Baker. I sweat so much that I poured sweat out of my ski boots once I got to camp. This hat held in my heat while I worked up a huge sweat.

Fit: I have a 7 3/8 melon and the "one size" beanie fit perfectly.

Coolness factor: This category's very existence drives many people nuts, but I like the idea of renewable clothing. Ibex also provides a great care guide on their website. Also I like that the people at Ibex are dog people with a dog-friendly workplace, so there. Ibex also does some other cool stuff, read about it on their site: http://shop.ibex.com/ibex/our-company

Comfort: This hat isn't as soft as fleece but it is much more breathable. Acrylic or rag wool caps make my head itch, this one did not. Flat seams are great under a helmet.

Warmth: Not as warm as fleece, but this testing day I was sweating a lot and needed the breathability more.

Durability: Wool beats fleece in the don't-get-too-close-to-the-fire and the abrasion resistance categories. This cap is also well constructed. No issues. Also, merino won't pick up a body odor like synthetics do.

Dislikes: It lost some of its elasticity after I soaked it in rain and sweat, I'll deduct half a star. The elasticity returned after my Mrs. ran it through the wash.

Best Use: Pretty much all cool weather activities unless you are just sitting still.

I'm very glad you're enjoying the beanie, Jeff! I wear mine for all sorts of activities nearly year-round.

I won't be able to add my review until next fall/winter, but I will say the few times I've been able to wear this have been incredible. Hands down the most comfortable beanie I own.