Good design does not yield good performance for running.

Price Paid: $50 in Vermont

Summary

Good design does not yield good performance for running. The image on the front of the box shows a running shoe, though buyers should understand the product's limitations. This product is best used for walking in crunchy winter conditions.

Pros

• Good performance on thin snow and rough ice
  • Good strap and shoe fit
  • True to size
  • Durable construction
  • Simple design

Cons

• Poor grip on black ice
  • Only contact points for flat surfaces are the studs

I purchased NANOspikes to run/jog on pavement in mixed winter conditions. The clickety-clack produced every step was bearable, though the performance was not. The two studs at the topmost of each strap-on are ineffective at gripping ice, which means the lift-off portion of the step requires caution.

The remainder of the studs can be effective in some ice conditions; but hard, black ice is not managed by this product. I also tested this product on flat metal and flat concrete at freezing temps without ice, and performance is worse than a rubber sole.

In summary, this product is effective for some winter conditions or for winter walking, but in my experience it falls short for urban winter jogging. NANOspikes are most effective for walking over distances with a small amount of evenly distributed crunchy ice.

When encountering heavier snow/ice, though, MICROspikes would be more appropriate; MICROspikes is a fantastic product for various winter conditions, though the aggressive spike is a bit much for urban settings.

This is good to know. I've been running on a pair of cheap spikes someone gave me (I think they got them at a local hardware store). I've been satisfied with them, but this whole time I have been thinking these would be a superior run. Maybe not (Though I still wouldn't mind winning a pair in the current TS contest!)

Welcome to Trailspace, Andrew. Thanks for letting us know how these worked out for you.

Nanospikes are a super versatile traction device that…

Summary

Nanospikes are a super versatile traction device that work on snow, ice, rocks, and pavement.

Pros

• Ultra versatile
  • Works on snow and ice
  • Works on rocks and pavement
  • Small spikes can't bend or break
  • Work for running

Cons

• Not as effective as Microspikes in deep snow/steep icy slopes
  • Front plate slides forward slightly

I purchased these for hiking in Colorado in the winter. I wanted a traction device that would allow me to go back and forth between snow/ice and rocks/dirt. Nanospikes fit the bill perfectly. I never slip, even on solid ice (though I do make sure my foot is firmly planted with each step, to set the spikes.)

My traction on rocks and pavement is unaffected, and I also appreciate that these tiny tungsten carbide studs can't bend or break on rocks like every other traction device out there. In fact, these studs break the rocks instead.

Another benefit is that you can run with these on, and I've done so very successfully. Last of all, Nanospikes stay firmly wrapped around your shoe, and they can't fall off like Yaktrax.

Welcome to Trailspace, Andrew. I did a 5 mile run this morning in a product similar to these. Thanks for posting.

Like them very much. Fit very snug. I can place them…

Summary

Like them very much. Fit very snug. I can place them in my backpack and don't have to worry about damaging anything. Has kept me safe on ice and snow. Thanks again.

Pros

• Light and easy to pack

Cons

• None

Welcome to Trailspace, Stanley. What type of trails/terrain are you able to use your Nanospikes on?

Stanley Martin

We don't get alot of snow nor ice around NC area. but we do have some nice trails and all. We have a few that are challengeing but most are moderate to easy.

Thanks, Stanley.