Katabatic Gear Palisade

Well made, high quality product, but just not warm…

Price Paid: $450 or there about. I forgot

Summary

Well made, high quality product, but just not warm enough.

Pros

• High quality construction
  • Good connection points to sleeping pad
  • Lightweight!

Cons

• Not warm enough
  • Regular size is a little snug when winched down on pad

I read all the reviews there were for quilts in general, this brand and the Palisade specifically. I settled on a quilt to lighten up my gear for three-season use. So far I've used the quilt four times in temps ranging from 30 to 50 degrees.

I'm not going to re-write the pluses and minus I noted above, but will say that sleeping is not warm enough. As a baseline, I slept in long underwear (SmartWool merino wool lightweight top and bottoms) and a hat, between 30 and 40 degrees I wasn't warm enough. I believe if it says 30 degree bag, you shouldn't have to wear extra clothes to be warm at that temp.

At 45 degrees, I still had to cinch the bag down on my pad pretty tightly to be warm, which I was, but the bag was pretty tight and left little room to move around. A 50 degrees I was very comfortable all around. I debated getting the wide version to have extra room when the bag was cinches to the pad but went with regular to save weight.

All this said, I would buy it again. It's about 18 ounces with the cords and straps and is very light and checks the box for General three-season use. I live in the Northeast and if I were heading to the Adirondacks in fall or spring, I'd take a warmer bag. I have an arsenal of Western bags which are great and have 20 years of heavy backpacking experience to base this on.

In the end, I'm not sure if it's the quilt design that makes me cold (air does get in underneath) or this particular bag needs more fill, but it's not warm enough for 30. I know I can and need to use additional clothes to sleep in, but when they say 30 degrees, it should be good to 30. Again, I would buy it again and will bring it on most of my trips because it's high quality and light.

One last thought. I sleep in a Hilleberg Akto tent, which is a true 4-season double wall tent. NO air circulates in this tent at night. If I were to use a tarp tent or tent with netting low down, which I plan on doing when it warms up, I think this quilt would have an even narrower range of temp use. That said it's light and serves a purpose in particular situations. Hope this helps.

P.S. I'd like to see Katabatic figure a way to open the foot box for nights when it's warm. While most of the quilt can be lightly draped over the body in warmer weather, you still have to stick your feet in the foot box or have them outside. No middle ground.

Bill "L.Dog" Garlinghouse

Bummer that you had those unexpected cold nights ... What kind of pad are you using, and what's the R-value?

Paul Greenberg

On the 30 degree night I used a closed cell pad and a neorest air or whatever you call the yellow blow up pad. Not sure the r value but I had proper ground insulation. Again, I would buy it again nd plan on using it a lot because it's light and well made but I guess on a cold night theres nothing like jumping in a mummy bag and zipping it up and pulling the hood around your head.

Bill "L.Dog" Garlinghouse

That is true. Before I got a quilt, I found myself using my summer bag like one - till it got cold. On cold nights now, I'm generally in a hammock with an underquilt. I generally wear a merino base layer, socks, and a wool hat. And tuck that quilt in real good!

schifferj

I own Katabatic's Alsek (22 deg) and Sawatch (15 deg) quilts and have used each to about ten degrees above their rated temps with no real problems. I'm not sure that Katabatic uses the EN rating for sleeping bags but the rated limit is defined as Lower-limit rating is the lowest temperature at which the bag will keep a standard man warm. EN ratings are based on a sleeper wearing 1 long underwear layer and a hat, and sleeping on a single 1"-thick insulating pad. Paul did that and was still not warm enough so best guess is that he, like me, is not a "standard" man (whatever that may be) and sleeps colder. As I've grown older and become less "standard" I've sold or given away all my 30 and 40 degrees quilts and bags with the 22 degree being the highest temp rating bag/quilt I own. Like Paul I too have an "arsenal" of bags to draw from but I prefer the quilts for their comfort and light weight.

1 year ago

Warm, lightweight, versatile, and durable. Highly…

Summary

Warm, lightweight, versatile, and durable. Highly recommend.

Pros

• Warmth
  • Light weight

Cons

• Can be drafty

Great quilt/bag! I've slept in it down to 30°F in this bag with a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm sleeping pad underneath with my long underwear and jacket underneath. I got this bag to cut down on weight and size for backpacking, but have mostly used this bag when car camping.

The bag is built very well especially for a lightweight bag. I generally sleep very cold, and I have tried many other bags and have never been able to sleep in them near their "rated" temperatures before. The Palisade is definitely warmer than other 30°F degree bags. I have even layered this bag with another 30 degree bag and slept in it down to -20°F.

After three years of use, maybe 10-20 nights a year, the bag is just as warm and lofts up to the same level it originally did.

There are benefits to having the quilt like design. I use this as a blanket and wrap it around myself and a few friends when we're around a fire. The one caveat to this bag, you need to make sure there is a decent seal between the bag and the sleeping pad otherwise a draft of cold air can wake you up in the night. Just treat it like a blanket and tuck yourself in at night and you'll be fine.

Welcome to Trailspace, Karen. Thanks for sharing your quilt review with us. Got any pictures of your Palisade you could add to your review?

Holy moly, this quilt is incredible! So light, and…

Summary

Holy moly, this quilt is incredible! So light, and very well crafted.

• High quality

Cons

• Expensive
  • Only available directly from Katabatic Gear

This is the greatest warm season quilt I've ever used. It is lightweight, high quality, and a great option in warm season use. It has a great system to attach to the sleeping pad, if needed — no drafts or cold spots.

The footbox has extra space and down, for increased comfort. Getting in and out, with no zipper, is a cinch.

As it is down, you have to be conscious of moisture. Also, as it is a quilt, you have to consider the mattress pad for back warmth. I pair it with a Therma Rest Neo Air (X Light for summer trips, X Therm for winter trips).

This quilt has given me the lightest, most comfortable bag I've ever used. It has treated me very well over the past year, with dozen of days use.  I highly recommend this product, if you can afford the price, potential wait time, and lack of availability in a store for viewing prior to purchasing.

Katabatic Gear Palisade

The Katabatic Gear Palisade is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new sleeping bag/pad, check out the best reviewed current models.