Keen Bryce Mid WP

Great fit and no break-in required. If you have wide…

Summary

Great fit and no break-in required. If you have wide feet don't be discouraged by the lack of wide designation on the Keen Bryce Waterproof hiking boot. I went up a full size and the fit is snug but very comfortable.

Pros

• Fits my wide feet.
  • Waterproof
  • No break-in required

Cons

• Full price is steep, but sale price is fair…wait for it.
  • 6 months of almost daily wear and I need a new pair.

Frustrated with finding a boot that fits my wide feet I ended up at the mall. Now I don't normally shop at the mall, but the Trade Home shoe store has a good selection and excellent service. The salesman brought out a pair of Keen Bryce waterproof boots. They fit my request for a ankle-high water proof hiking boot.

But I wear a size 9 Wide and he brings out a size 10. Sure enough the fit was excellent. I wore them to work the next day where I spent most of 10 hours standing operating a television camera covering a college soccer game. I have since bought two more pair of the same boot!

These boots are great to take on the trail, especially…

Summary

These boots are great to take on the trail, especially when there is a possibility of wet conditions. The waterproof, breathable boots make for a comfortable trip!

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Breathable
  • Great traction
  • Toe protection
  • Good stability

Cons

• Mesh material retains some water (although it still keeps feet dry)

I broke these boots in for about a week before taking them to the Walls of Jericho trail in Estillfork, Ala. (8.2mi hike). They have a little different support of the foot than what I'm used to (but I've never owned hiking boots before). It took my feet a couple of days to get used to them, but by the third day I loved them and they were comfortable all day long.

These fit my feet really good. There was no slipping, which meant there were no blisters and I had no chaffing. On the hiking/camping trip they were great! My feet were comfortable all day on both of the hiking days. There were a couple of creek crossings and my feet stayed dry and comfortable. Some of the terrain was pretty intense with rock and dirt and they helped me to keep traction on whatever the ground type while keeping debris out of the boots.

In my opinion, these boots would be a great year-round boot. When hiking the temperature was around 50 degrees and my feet stayed cool, and at our campsite the temperature got down to around 30 degrees and my feet stayed warm while not being very active.

The Keen Bryce boots seem to be a well-constructed, durable pair of boots. I have loved them so far and expect there to be many years of use out of them. I would recommend this product to anyone who wants a good "go-to" boot to do well in most any weather condition that you come across.

Welcome to Trailspace, Ben. Keep those reviews coming. And pictures really make a review "pop."

giftogab

Many of the backpackers here with lots of experience talk about certain failures they see in KEENS often...so several uses in, say maybe your 5th or 6th trip with these...what was going on with them then? Have you used them enough to test the actual construction? Or is that just a hunch? You say almost any weather so how did they do hiking all day in snow for you?

Ben Rivers

giftogab, I also have heard a lot of complaints about Keens before, I just gave my opinion of the boot based on my experience with them. At the time of this review I had been on several (4 or 5) hikes in them. You're correct, I don't have a lot of experience in hiking, which I point out in my profile. I have not been hiking all day in the snow in these boots, however, I did say that I think that they would be good in "most any weather condition." This was my first gear review to ever write and I realize that it may not have all the information that you prefer, but I gave the information that I had at the time. I'll take your advice and try to improve my future reviews.

Lightweight, Waterproof, very comfortable, rugged.

Summary

Lightweight, Waterproof, very comfortable, rugged.

Pros

• Great waterproofing
  • Comfortable right out of the box.
  • Rugged
  • Great traction

Cons

• Not much paper work on care
  • Runs a half size small in the U.S.

shoe-2.jpg

Activities: Hiking
Weather: Wet – waterproof
Lining: KEEN.DRY waterproof breathable membrane
Upper: Nubuck and textile upper

I'm picky about my footwear. It's GOT to hold up to mud, water, sand, rocks etc. I'm a self defined "Hardcore Hiker/Camper." Most of my hikes are in eastern Kentucky's Red River Gorge. Rough country to say the least.

Finding a good pair of shoes up to the task at an affordable price was proving to be harder than some of my winter campouts. I bought my pair of KEEN Bryce Mid WP hiking shoe/boots online and was worried that I might of wasted my money on yet another pair of shoes that wouldn't do the job.

HOWEVER, when I got them and put them on I knew right away I was on to something good. They're not a shoe, nor are they a boot. More like a cross between all the good stuff of both. After wearing them on the trail and a few campouts I bought another pair so I wouldn't have to hunt another pair up when it comes time... I'm figuring that'll be sometime LONG down the road.

These shoe are unbelievable. The waterproofing is top notch and goes all the way up to the last eye. NO BREAK-IN NEEDED. The fit is good, though it tends to run a half size small in the U.S. Comfortable right out of the box.

Now I'm not rich, nor do I have a lot of money to waste on the WRONG pair of shoes. But, if you're into backcountry hiking and camping these shoes are for you. You'll love them.

Sounds like a good boot, Darren. Though I personally prefer my shoes to breathe. Thanks for the review.

Great arch support. Tough but comfy. Love these boots.

Summary

Great arch support. Tough but comfy.

Pros

• Warm
  • Waterproof
  • Rugged

Cons

• A little stiff

Love these boots. Warm for fall/spring hiking.