Kelty Cache Hauler (Frame Only)

I bought this pack specifically to haul with. I also…

Design: frame pack
Max. Load Carried: 120 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'2"

I bought this pack specifically to haul with. I also used it to carry dry bags with.

My hauling mostly consisted of bear bait and gear, I went 2 miles in and 2 miles out three times a week for a 3 months in not too bad of terrain, but it was steep going in and all downhill going out. I generally carried 60 lbs with one load topping out at 120 lbs and came back mostly empty(about 15 lbs).

The good news is that this pack was extremely comfortable, and very easy to attach odd size stuff to. I carried everything from feed sacks to 30 gallon drums to 5 gallons of gas and a 2 stroke 3.5 hp motor on it. If the flaps don't fit just bungee or ratchet strap the load on.

The bad news is that I had to replace the bottom pins with bolts the 3rd time out, however I managed to make it in fully loaded with one pin busted before I noticed. The holes have started to round out and you can see the stress on the metal.

I gave it 3.5 stars because it is very comfortable and versatile and I don't think anyone would have a problem with it if they stayed reasonable on the load.

I just need a pack that will take more weight. I am going to try the Mystery Ranch NICE or Kifaru longhunter hauler next, I haven't decided which.

If you've owned or used a Kelty Cache Hauler (Frame Only), please share your experience.