Kelty Cache Hauler (Frame Only)

Weight 6 lb 1 oz / 2.7 kg
Width 16 in / 41 cm
Length 32 in / 81 cm

Absolute best pack for hauling out elk from deep in…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Absolute best pack for hauling out elk from deep in the back country. Carry 120-150 pounds, no problems other than being tired.

Pros

• Rock solid

Cons

• None, it does what it was designed to!

This is the absolute best pack you will ever need to haul out a whole deer, elk halves or quarters, moose, caribou, bear, you name it! I have had 150 pounds on this pack numerous times and this pack is still very comfortable!

It fits perfectly. When loaned to my buddies they rave about the pack and most have bought one themselves.

If you like hunting in the deep backcountry, Alaska or far from trails/roads this pack will make hauling meat out as easy as it can be made which is always a lot of work, but well worth it.

Welcome to Trailspace, Brian! Thanks for the review of your pack. If you have some pictures of yours in use, those would be great to see in your review.

I bought this pack specifically to haul with. I also…

Design: frame pack
Max. Load Carried: 120 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'2"

I bought this pack specifically to haul with. I also used it to carry dry bags with.

My hauling mostly consisted of bear bait and gear, I went 2 miles in and 2 miles out three times a week for a 3 months in not too bad of terrain, but it was steep going in and all downhill going out. I generally carried 60 lbs with one load topping out at 120 lbs and came back mostly empty(about 15 lbs).

The good news is that this pack was extremely comfortable, and very easy to attach odd size stuff to. I carried everything from feed sacks to 30 gallon drums to 5 gallons of gas and a 2 stroke 3.5 hp motor on it. If the flaps don't fit just bungee or ratchet strap the load on.

The bad news is that I had to replace the bottom pins with bolts the 3rd time out, however I managed to make it in fully loaded with one pin busted before I noticed. The holes have started to round out and you can see the stress on the metal.

I gave it 3.5 stars because it is very comfortable and versatile and I don't think anyone would have a problem with it if they stayed reasonable on the load.

I just need a pack that will take more weight. I am going to try the Mystery Ranch NICE or Kifaru longhunter hauler next, I haven't decided which.