Kelty Compression Stuff Sacks

Small Medium Large Extra Large
Weight 3 oz. / 0.1 kg 4 oz / 0.1 kg 5 oz / 0.1 kg 6 oz / 0.2 kg
Full Size 6 x 12 in / 15 x 30 cm 8 x 15 in / 20 x 38 cm 10 x 18 in / 25 x 46 cm 11 x 22 in / 28 x 56 cm
Compressed size 6 x 9 in / 15 x 23 cm 8 x 10 in / 20 x 25 cm 10 x 10 in / 25 x 25 cm 11 x 10 in / 28 x 25 cm

This review is for the EXTRA LARGE (11" x 22") compression…

Price Paid: around 16 bucks

This review is for the EXTRA LARGE (11" x 22") compression sack.

I admit it, I'm fairly cheap. Buying this stuff sack was an effort to salvage a sleeping bag purchase I had made years ago before I had done any research or had a desire to do anything more than car camping. Now, I've done the research, and now I backpack.

Prior to purchasing this compression sack, I've strapped my Kelty Mistral 20 to the top of a backpack too small for any serious outings (~43L), making it very visible and prompting a fellow backpacker to comment, "that's the largest sleeping bag I've ever seen!" However, I've recently purchased a larger (65L) pack that fits the Mistral inside, but without any room for much else. So instead of buying a bag that is ACTUALLY compressible, I though I would save money and just get a compression sack.

The Mistral does compress...sort of. Enough to fit it in the pack, anyway. But it still sucks up an enormous amount of room. I know this sounds like a review of the Mistral, but I provide all this as context for what I think of the Kelty Compression sack.

Being cheap, I purchased the Kelty Compression sack because it was the cheapest (that I could find). It did compress the bag as much as that thing would compress. No straps broke, no seams ripped, no buckles popped. And I pulled hard. The straps themselves are a bit inflexible. It packs into itself, which was a pleasant surprise.

I still expect to line the stuff sack with a plastic bag, so I can't really comment on the potential water resistance (manufacturer website claims it is made with water resistant nylon with a DWR finish). All in all, it did what I hoped. However, on the whole, I think I would have preferred to purchase a more compressible bag.

The upshot is: if you have something that needs compression that will only fit into the extra large compression sack, seriously consider your alternatives. If you're looking at the smaller stuff sacks, then the quality of the construction seems sufficient.

And they're cheap.