Kelty Cosmic Down 4°

Son is in an Active Boy Scout Troop that camps 11…

Price Paid: Bought on sale fall of 2014

Summary

Son is in an Active Boy Scout Troop that camps 11 months of the year. I hate the cold and had relied on two 30 degree sleeping bags, all my clothes and a blanket until I found this Kelty Cosmic on sale. Warm and toasty even at 0° now.

Pros

• Warm
  • Easy to pack

Cons

• Not DriDown

Son is in an Active Boy Scout Troop that camps 11 months of the year. I hate the cold and had relied on two 30 degree sleeping bags, all my clothes and a blanket until I found this Kelty Cosmic Down (NOT DriDown) on sale. Warm and toasty even at 0° now.

I've mostly used this in 20 and 30 degree weather and end up having to strip down to next to nothing or leave the bag partially open to stay cool. Used it a few nights at or near 0 degrees and kept the long underwear on and was a bit warm.

Recently went on a backpacking trip; nights were in the 20's and I was the only adult that wasn't cold. They mainly have 30 degree bags with liners because of the weight, but I was willing to comprise a bit on weight to stay warm. Sure glad I did.

I tend to roll around when I sleep and was concerned about the mummy bag. Being 6ft and 220 lbs I got the long version. Bit tight around the chest but once I figured out how to sleep on my side with it I've had no issues.

I use to wear my next day's clothes to sleep or put them at the bottom of my rectangle bag to help keep them warm. Now I've taken to using at least part of my next day's clothes as a pillow of sorts to help keep them warm for morning. Nowhere in the sleeping bag for them.

I did read some reviews about the zippers getting snagged and have had a few issues with it myself but mainly when I get in a hurry to get in or out. Now I just take my take and am aware of the issue and it's been no big deal.

I use a compression bag to get it down to size for my backpack as it's a bit too large to fit in the bag Kelty sent. It lofts right back up. After about six months of use shows no real signs of losing any of its loft or warmth. I do store it out of the bag when it's not in my pack to help preserve the loft.

The only other issue I've had is the drawstrings to tighten the hood and the bag down tight seems really long to me and I wake up with an arm tangled in them or with them wrapped around my face. Might have to look at shortening them up a bit. However, one is kind of flat and one is round, so even in the dark I can tell them apart. *shrugs* so I guess that's something nice.

Love the bag and worth the extra weight for me to know I'll be warm at night.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great bag.

Thanks for sharing your review, BullsEye-aka-Kent. Glad to hear the bag is keeping you warm.