Kelty Coyote 4900 - Men's

A bomb proof pack that does it a little on the heavy…

Summary

A bomb proof pack that does it a little on the heavy side. This product is best for 2+ day expeditions in any terrain. I would recommend this to a friend with a larger waist.

Pros

• Its durability and unique back support

Cons

• The waist strap is too large for me.

The pack fits excellent and true to size. I however have a smaller waist and even with the straps fully tightened it is a little too big around the belt.

I have hiked with this pack on multi-day treks and it is very comfortable. Everything is adjustable. The torso adjustment came in very handy seeing I have a longer torso.

I think this pack has more than enough capacity with surplus side pockets and mesh pockets. In addition after having a pack with waist zip pockets on the waist belt I will never buy one without them again.

The many zippered pockets and spaces allowed me to not have to individually pack things like hygiene supplies in a smaller bag they had their own place in the pack itself. The volume is true as advertised as well.

The compression straps helped keep all my gear close to my back even when carrying 40 lbs the pack felt very manageable and concise.

This pack has been all over the New England White Mts. and even when my fingers were frigid and I was tired, I was still able to operate the tasseled zippers and straps no problem.

The secondary main pocket has a mesh inside that will hold your stuff in even when it's open allowing you to handle gear and get inside without having to unload the whole pack which is nice. The only thing I think it could use is a built-in rain cover and sleeping bag compartment at the bottom of the bag.

Welcome to Trailspace, Quinn! Thanks for sharing a helpful review of your Kelty. How long have you had yours? Got any pictures of it in action?

Quinn Parker

I've had it for about 4 years let me see if I can find some photos!

24 hours ago

I first bought this backpack in 2007 and have used…

Price Paid: $200-$300

I first bought this backpack in 2007 and have used it every summer since then. The Coyote 4900 is an incredibly reliable pack. It is easy to adjust to using this pack every day or almost never.

Some of the great features of this pack are: its brain becomes a fannypack, which is useful if you're packing to a backcountry campsite and then doing a day hike; this pack has a fail safe way to keep water out by use of two adjustable strings at the top; among other things this pack will adjust to whatever you need it to do, by that i mean you can use it simply as a suitcase traveling from airport to airport or train to train, but it can adjust to becoming a beaten down pack that doesn't fail.

With the right organization, this backpack can sustain you for several weeks.

If you are thinking about getting your first backpack, you should definitely get the Kelty Coyote 4900.

Great Pack! I have owned the Kelty Coyote 4900 for…

Great Pack! I have owned the Kelty Coyote 4900 for 3 years now and have had absolutely zero problems.

The pack is durable with no rips or torn seams. The design is condusive to both hiking and cross country skiing. The front main compartment access zipper makes orgaiizing and finding gear in the main pocket a breeze.

My only minor dislike is the lack of hip belt pockets for essentials like compass, knife, GPS etc.

Overall A+

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Coyote 4900 versions

In addition to the 3 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Coyote 4900. Read all reviews »

Kelty Men's Coyote 4900

The Men's Coyote 4900 has been discontinued.

The Kelty Men's Coyote 4900 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 15, 2009 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.