Kelty Creel

Great bag. I really wanted a shoulder bag with a real…

Design: Top-loading,
Number of Pockets: exterior shovel pocket, interior hydration sleeve, two outside pockets
Max. Load Carried: 7 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 10"
Price Paid: $11 used

Great bag. I really wanted a shoulder bag with a real belt (not a fanny pack with a shoulder strap) and this totally fits the bill. It's great on my bike, on short hikes, and for taking to class. If you can find one, get it.

Functionally, this pack deserves 5 stars, but durability…

Design: Lumbar Pack
Size: 850 cu. in.
Number of Pockets: 2 exterior, 1 interior
Max. Load Carried: 10-12 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'2"

Functionally, this pack deserves 5 stars, but durability issues knocks it down to 4 stars. I tried numerous models before deciding on the Kelty Creel. When I was searching for lumbar packs I was looking for something that I could bring on short hikes and could comfortably carry 10-15 pounds.

I tested out lumbar packs in the 600-800 cu.in. range from Mountainsmith, REI, and Kelty. The Creel was the only one I tried that was capable. The other brands didn't even come close. The suspension of the Kelty was just better. It cinched down tight and didn't flop around at all with under 10 pounds, and only slightly with over 10 pounds. Additionally, the back pad employs a rubberized anti-slip strip that prevents the pack from sliding down. It's a great feature that few other packs had.

The only negative about the pack is its durability, specifically the attachment points of the shoulder strap and handle. I use the pack every day and have put it through a lot of abuse and one of the attachment points for the shoulder strap broke within a few months and the handle looks like it might not last much longer. If they had used a heavy nylon strapping for the attachment points, I don't think it would be a problem. I've noticed they have corrected this issue with their latest line of lumbar packs, which include the Hawkeye and Oriole. With this in mind, I feel I can strongly recommend the Kelty line of lumbar packs and when I finally replace my Creel I fully intend buy another Kelty.

Office-savvy and trail-worthy, this spacious hydration waistpack is stable enough for hiking or biking with room for folders and files or hiking gear. Top-loading main compartment with internal divider holds lunch, jacket plus more--ideally sized for a day hike or a daily commute. Internal pocket and drink tube port hole let you carry a hydration reservoir (sold separately) for hands-free drinking. Fleece-lined optics pocket is perfect for carrying your sunglasses. Zippered stash pocket for smaller essentials such as keys, cash, sunblock or lip balm. Front shovel pocket is great for stashing a jacket, or bike helmet. Two external mesh water bottle pockets securely hold bottles (sold separately) for easy access when you're on the go. Delrin rod frame supports heavy loads and keeps the pack from sagging. Compression straps tighten down load, adding stability to waistpack. Removable and fully adjustable padded shoulder strap. Closeout.

The Kelty Creel fanny pack offers you an easy, top-loading design with water bottle pockets, a hydration pocket, a zippered stash pocket, and a fleece sunglass pocket. It provides you with multiple carrying options with a stowable waistbelt, a top carry handle and an adjustable, padded over-the-shoulder strap.

- FogDog Sports

This combo Kelty pack has a durable fanny pack for food, vest, cap, sunglasses and miscellaneous gear. Main compartment has fleece optics pocket. Hydration tube portTop closing with mesh pocket insidePadded backContoured mesh hip beltDetachable, adjustable shoulder strapFront multi-section bungee strapDouble 16 oz. water bottle pocketsSize: 13x6x10-

- Sierra Trading Post

Kelty Creel

The Creel has been discontinued.

The Kelty Creel is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at FogDog Sports.

If you're looking for a new lumbar/hip pack, check out the best reviewed current models.