Kelty Galactic 50°

Great for warm summer camping. I like this sleeping…

Design: Rectangular
Fill: Duck down
Temperature Rating: 50
Price Paid: don't remember

Great for warm summer camping. I like this sleeping bag very much, though I think its temperature rating should be changed.

I bought this sleeping bag for two reasons — as light warmth for summer camping, and for its roomy rectangular shape. On both accounts, it works well.

My old Polartec mummy bag was rated at 33 degrees (too warm for a 62 degree night), and I also wanted to opt for a roomier bag, so I could stretch out.

The bag is light and silky to the touch (nice fabric). It zips open to a flat comforter, if you want to use it as a throw, though since the top and bottom faces of the bag are different colors, the "blanket" (zipped open) will be half blue, half grey.

My one reservation is that when I've used this sleeping bag on nights with low 50s temps, I was cold. I think its temperature rating should be more like 55 degrees, max.

Overall, though, a very well-made and comfortable sleeping bag.

The Galactic is out of this world. This duck-down bag offers plenty of elbowroom, and it includes an amazing combination of features that ensure comfort all night long.

- Altrec Outdoors

Up to 30% Savings during the REI Fall Sale! Plus members save 20% on one full price item. Ideal for warm summer nights, this roomy rectangular bag has the added benefit of duck down insulation for compressible warmth. High-quality 600-fill-power duck down is warm, lightweight and compressible; smooth polyester taffeta lining feels soft next to your skin. Sewn-through construction and differential cut allow air circulation and variable insulating ability. Convenient full-length, two-way locking zipper is backed by a draft tube to keep warmth in; zips open to form a quilt or mate with other bags. Internal loops allow attachment of coordinating Kelty fleece liner (sold separately) to increase warmth. Pad loops provide attachment points to keep your sleeping bag and pad together so you don't roll off onto the cold ground (straps sold separately). Zippered foot vent allows airflow on warm nights. Stuff sack and cotton storage bag included.

Kelty Galactic 50°

The Galactic 50° has been discontinued.

The Kelty Galactic 50° is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 16, 2009 at Altrec Outdoors.

If you're looking for a new warm weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.