Kelty Galactic 50°

Great for warm summer camping. I like this sleeping…

Design: Rectangular
Fill: Duck down
Temperature Rating: 50
Price Paid: don't remember

Great for warm summer camping. I like this sleeping bag very much, though I think its temperature rating should be changed.

I bought this sleeping bag for two reasons — as light warmth for summer camping, and for its roomy rectangular shape. On both accounts, it works well.

My old Polartec mummy bag was rated at 33 degrees (too warm for a 62 degree night), and I also wanted to opt for a roomier bag, so I could stretch out.

The bag is light and silky to the touch (nice fabric). It zips open to a flat comforter, if you want to use it as a throw, though since the top and bottom faces of the bag are different colors, the "blanket" (zipped open) will be half blue, half grey.

My one reservation is that when I've used this sleeping bag on nights with low 50s temps, I was cold. I think its temperature rating should be more like 55 degrees, max.

Overall, though, a very well-made and comfortable sleeping bag.

Kelty Galactic 50°

The Galactic 50° has been discontinued.

The Kelty Galactic 50° is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 16, 2009 at Altrec Outdoors.

If you're looking for a new warm weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.