Kelty Ignite DriDown 16

If you look for a sale, you can get this down bag…

Price Paid: $110 USD on sale

Summary

If you look for a sale, you can get this down bag for an incredible price! It's accurately rated to 16° F (men's EN lower limit). It's a high quality down bag for under $200 — something that's almost impossible to find. Best of all is the fact that the DriDown is as moisture resistant as the manufacturer claims.

Pros

• Relatively lightweight
  • Compressible
  • Truly moisture resistant
  • True-to-spec temperature rating
  • Adjustable hood
  • Quality construction
  • Breathable

Cons

• Too heavy for ultralighters
  • Too short for anyone over about 5'10"

Okay, this is one of those products that almost seems too good to be true. First, if you wait for a sale, you can find this bag for around $100 bucks — something nearly impossible for a high-quality down bag! Second, DriDown really is as moisture resistant as the manufacturer claims, while still being breathable. Third, it's really warm!  Fourth.... well, if I keep going you'll be reading this review all day.

So, even the best products are rarely perfect but the only two drawbacks I can see with this bag are, 1) at 2 lb. 7 oz., it's too heavy for anyone looking for ultralight, and 2) it specs at 72" but I'm 5'9" and I don't know how anyone more than an inch or two taller would fit comfortably. Even with these two minor character flaws I couldn't bring myself to rate it anything other than a perfect 5 stars.

I'm a cold sleeper and have a Sea-to-Summit bag liner (separate review) that I carry into the backcountry even during the warmest part of the year. On my first trip out with this bag, the temperature dropped well below freezing and I still needed to ditch the bag liner.

The loft, draft tubes, and hood surpassed my expectations and I didn't have a single cold spot — something I can't say about my other bag. I also had a lot of condensation and while the shell appeared to be wet, the down stayed completely dry (the shell was totally dry after about 5 minutes in the sun).

Other online reviewers seem to have issues with the zipper snagging so I'm either exceptionally gifted (NOT!), or a lot of people seem a bit inept. I haven't had a single issue, even during that desperate OMG-I-gotta-go-now pee trip in the middle of the night.

I honestly don't know how anyone who's done their homework on down bags could go wrong with this one.  Everything about it is exceptional as far as I'm concerned!

If you've owned or used a Kelty Ignite DriDown 16, please share your experience.