Kelty Light Year XP 0

I was looking for a cold weather sleeping bag but…

Design: Mummy
Fill: ClimaShield XP
Temperature Rating: 0 Fahrenheit
Weight: 4 lbs

I was looking for a cold weather sleeping bag but didn't want to spend a fortune. I was offered a special discount on this bag ($127) so I bought it.

I bought the long, I'm 5'10" 180 lbs but the regular would have be fine in hindsight. I was worried it was going to be to tight in the shoulders but I have plenty of room in the bag. I will outline the pluses and minus.

Plus:
- Good cut, seals very well with enough room to move around with out being too large so as to get cold spots. You can comfortable cinch tight the opening around your face or just your nose and mouth.
- Very nice quality of construction and materials. Strong yet lightweight.
- Little 4" sealing blanket works well. At first I thought this won't do much but after using the bag I appreciate how well it wraps around your neck and shoulders to seal out cold and drafts.
- Zipper foot vent allows the bag to be useful on warmer nights. I have used it to 40 degrees and was comfortable.
- Compact and lightweight for synthetic. 4 Lbs and wraps tight.
- Comes with both a storage sack and stuff sack, nice touch.
- Life time warranty and I understand that Kelty is very good about honoring it.
- The bag is warm but I have not sleep down to 0 yet, At 25 I was very comfortable. Was going to test it with my sons Scout group but the winter sleep out was canceled when it dropped to 20 below.
- Uses ClimaShield XP which from my research is one of the best synthetic fill. I have read that XP holds it insulation better with less loft meaning it should stay warm as it ages and loses some loft. This type of insulation (continuous fiber) will not clump and holds up to washings well. Like all synthetic is superior to down when wet.

Minus:
- I don't have large hands but I find the fobs that lock the cinch strings around your face too small. They need to be at least 50% larger.
- I also wish the zipper was full length.

Overall I am very happy with this bag and would highly recommend it.

The Kelty Light Year XP 0 is a four-season, synthetic bag. This light-weight bag features durable Climashieldᆴ XP insulation, a form-fitting hood, and an ultralight compression sack. Finally, a synthetic bag warm enough for winter and small enough to fit in your pack.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

Kelty built the Light Year XP 0-Degree Synthetic Sleeping Bag with a slew of features to guarantee your winter night feels as comfortable as possible. Offset baffled construction eliminates cold spots in the Climashield XP insulation, and a full draft collar seals in the warm air. Kelty used a half-length zipper to save weight, and the Light Year XP Sleeping Bag includes pad loops to keep you from waking up in the middle of the night and wondering where your sleeping pad went.

- Backcountry Outlet refers to the men's version

The Light Year XP 0Adeg is a four-season, synthetic bag. This lightweight bag features durable Climashield XP insulation, a form-fitting hood, and an ultralight compression sack.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version

This light, tough Kelty bag will keep you warm and comfortable during your adventures all year long. Highly durable Climashield® XP is lightweight, compressible, retains little moisture and continues to insulate even if wet. Made with a diamond ripstop nylon/polyester shell and soft polyester microfiber lining. Differentiated drawcords allow quick identification, even in the dark—so neck or hood adjustments are a cinch! Locking hip-length zipper and zippered foot vent provide ventilation options. Pad loops provide attachment points to keep your sleeping bag and pad together (straps sold separately). Ground-level side seams keep warm air from escaping. Comes with a stuff sack and large storage bag.

- REI refers to the men's version

Kelty Light Year XP 0

The Light Year XP 0 has been discontinued.

The Kelty Light Year XP 0 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 15, 2010 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new 3-season synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.