Kelty Redwing 32

The Kelty Redwing 32 is an excellent day hiking pack.

Summary

The Kelty Redwing 32 is an excellent day hiking pack. I could even cram two days worth of stuff in it if I really went minimally. I would recommend this to day hikers everywhere for sure! It has a lot of the great features of larger packs, but is still small enough to be perfect for short trips that don't need a giant pack.

Pros

• Plenty of space
  • Cushioned shoulder straps
  • Airflow channels on the back
  • 4 cinch straps to compress cargo

Cons

• Limited choice of colors

This is an excellent day hiking pack. The straps are comfortable and easily adjusted while on the move. The fabrics, zippers, and clips are all high quality. It is hydration system compatible, and has two outside pockets that easily hold a 32 oz Nalgene style bottle.

The airflow design in the back panel seems to work well, but I haven't worn this pack when it was warm enough to be an issue. It was ventilated enough on my cold weather hikes to keep back sweat to a minimum, which is a great relief!

There are plenty of pockets for those of us who like to keep certain things separate from others, and it also has holes that can accommodate trekking poles if needed. I would say that this pack is a bit of an overkill as a book bag, but it will easily hold an iPad, or laptop as well as lots of textbooks. I don't plan to use it that way, but you could.

For those of us with a bit of extra girth in the waist/belly, the hip belt will easily accommodate larger sizes. Actually, all of the adjustments on all straps are very generous. With everything packed, and compressed with the four compression straps, I haven't noticed any shifting or moving about that would make it a pain to carry.

I'm really in love with this pack! It's another great product from Kelty.