Kelty Soar 5200

The expedition-ready Soar weighs a mere four pounds, but its two-layer padded waist belt and adjustable suspension lend it comfort and adaptability.

Weight 4 lbs / 1.8 kg
Capacity 5200 cu in / 86 L

A Very nice and lightweight pack. This was a replacement…

Design: Top loading internal
Size: 5200 cubic inches
Max. Load Carried: 50lbs
Height of Owner: 6'3"
Price Paid: ~$160

A Very nice and lightweight pack. This was a replacement for an older pack I had and at 6'3" fit me very well and was quite comfortable.

Ease of use could be better although what it lacks in simplicity it makes up for in adjustability so many users would probably like this one but I find myself constantly adjusting the load while hiking. I particularly like the stay design and the weight carried is well supported though although takes some tweaking on the trail.

The color has been mentioned and I thought it would bother me but I actually like it. It reminds me of some of the gear my parents used in the 70's! LOL!

Everything is accessible and the main compartment is easy to get to through the top loading option or the main compartment zipper which is very stout and waterproof looking. A couple of mesh side pockets and a top compartment round this thing out as far as places to stash things goes, along with a place for your integrated water system. There are also a couple of zippered pockets on the inside to place important items like keys, wallets, etc which has served me well when using this pack to travel with.

I would highly reccomend it and the only reason I am not ranking it with more stars is the sternum strap on mine seperated from the track it runs on to adjust it and is being sent back under warranty. Again this thing is covered under warranty but I would have preferred a simpler option with less adjustability and more reliability but what can you ask for in a $160 pack that is under 4 lbs?

A nice option from Kelty as long as you have access to a computer to return it if something were to go wrong with the pack.

This is a great pack, lightweight with plenty of room,…

Design: top loader with front access
Size: 5200
Number of Pockets: plenty, mesh, non mesh, internal (one for your camelbak), that top thing...
Height of Owner: 6'4"

This is a great pack, lightweight with plenty of room, comfortable, very adjustable, and simple.

The color is the biggest downside but I also want to stress that is is unfairly portrayed in almost all photos I have seen. The photos look like a salmon color, a bit pinkish, but the color really is rust. It is rust colored, no hint of pink, very orange and all of the fabric, light and dark has a metallic shine. It isn't bad, I like the color and like to stand out a bit. This is a pack that I am proud to carry with my friends who use their Ospreys because I can say, "my pack is lighter, bigger, and look at the color!" It is a good and unusual pack with plenty of room and pockets.

Oh, and all of the Kelty fast and light series is great for tall users, I also have the Kelty Nimble, pity these seem to be discontinued, but it means they are cheaper now!

Yeah, it's an ugly color, but that's the only thing…

Design: top loader with front access
Size: 5200ci
Number of Pockets: eight plus, depends on what you consider a pocket
Max. Load Carried: 30 pounds
Height of Owner: 6 foot

Yeah, it's an ugly color, but that's the only thing to dislike about this pack. It's giganticous, but only four pounds, a little less if you do some trimming. Plenty of extra room to carry your expensive down bag a little less compressed, room for extra water bottles during drought conditions, winter hike, no problem, pile in the extra large sleeping bag and extra clothes,etc.

I'm six foot and it fits me perfect, carries well, plenty of mesh side pockets, only three zippers to fumble with, and they work smooth as silk. Feels like 95 percent of the weight transfers to hips, for excellent comfort. Too large for a weekender, but if you are planning an AT thru-hike, this is the perfect bag, reasonably light and more durable than my one pound silnylon pack. Kelty is finally getting things right! But that color...

Kelty's lightweight Soar Backpack gives you a low-on-weight, high-on-comfort pack for your weeklong hiking expeditions. Load the 5200cu inch Soar Backpack with your tent, sleeping bag, and other backcountry gear, and hit the trail. Kelty's sturdy frame sheet and aluminum stays stabilize the pack, and the breathable back panel and padded two-layer hip-belt work together to keep you comfortable as you log miles. Weighing in at a mere 4lbs, the nylon ripstop Soar Backpack remains durable throughout your adventures without adding extra pounds. Top and front panel loading makes it convenient to find your gear once you hit base camp.

- Backcountry Outlet

The Soar is a lightweight solution in a high-capacity package. The flexibility of top-panel loading and front-panel access comes in handy during extended backcountry travels. This pack is low on weight but high on comfort and convenience.

- Altrec Outdoors

The Soar is a lightweight solution for extended backcountry travels. Low on weight, high on comfort and convenience. Hydration-compatible with reservoir sleeve. Adjustable suspension. Lightbeam aluminum stays. HDPE frame sheet. Breathable waistbelt, backpanel and shoulder straps. 2-layer padded waistbelt. Wicking and padded backpanel. Padded shoulder straps. Belt stabilizers and Scherer cinch. Top and front panel access. Side compression straps. Spindrift collar. Daisy chain. Ice axe loop and lash tabs. Large front pocket and outermesh stash pocket. Mesh water bottle pockets. Security pocket. Number of pockets: 5 Made of 280 denier nylon/300 denier poly HD mini diamond ripstop/245 HD nylon oxford. Size: 42.5 in. Lx16 in. Wx15.5 in. H. Fits torso length: 16-22 in. Wt. 4 lbs. Capacity: 5200 cu. in.

- Campmor

Kelty Soar 5200

The Soar 5200 has been discontinued.

The Kelty Soar 5200 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 2, 2009 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.