Kelty Tioga 4500

I don't know what all the "hoopla" is about internal…

Design: external frame top load
Size: 4500
Number of Pockets: 4 outside 1 top seperate bag quarters
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs
Height of Owner: 6 ft
Price Paid: $80 on ebay

I don't know what all the "hoopla" is about internal frame packs! I had one for years as a ski rescue patrol/ avalanche control and found it fine, but for 90% of the casual backpackers this Kelty cannot be beat. Excellent distribution plenty of room and tough as hell. I have fallen and slid literally hundreds of feet on this thing and it is tough! Call me old style but I promise you will not be disappointed owning one.

I have been backpacking numerous times, but really…

Design: ext.
Max. Load Carried: 62 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 10"

I have been backpacking numerous times, but really put it to the test for two weeks at Philmont Scout Ranch. The first eight days we had rain. No problem. We traversed rocky terrain. After learning various ways to adjust the pack, the internal users had nothing on me. I seemed to have more versatility on the pack exterior. Super pack...super price!

If you've owned or used a Kelty Tioga 4500, please share your experience.

Kelty Tioga 4500

The Tioga 4500 has been discontinued.

The Kelty Tioga 4500 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 3, 2007 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new external frame backpack, check out the best reviewed current models.