Kelty Trekker 3900 ST

I was looking at internal frame packs when an old…

Design: External frame pack
Size: 3900 cu. in.
Number of Pockets: 7
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs.
Height of Owner: 6'

I was looking at internal frame packs when an old timer at the local shop talked me into trying a Kelty external frame. Great decision, this pack is wonderful!

Don't be fooled by the 3900 cubic inch size spec; that only includes the pack bag and not the things you can lash to the frame. I usually strap my tent or sleeping bag (or both!) to the frame below the pack bag so there is lots of room inside for other gear. Given that feature, this pack is probably equivalent to a 5,000 cu.in./80 L internal frame pack.

The first time you load up the pack and try to swing it over your shoulder you might feel a little unbalanced. The weight is held a little higher and farther away from you back than most internal frame bags. I got used to it pretty fast and now it isn't a problem, but I'm sure it puts off a lot of people.

Fit: The 'ST' is for 'short torso', though I'm a tall male and it fits me better than the regular version. The frame can be shortened or lengthened to fit a large range of torso sizes. The shoulder straps can be mounted in four different positions for wider or narrower shoulders, or mounted at a slant if you have trouble with them rubbing your arm pits. Ask your local store about different waist belt sizes, too - Kelty makes them!

Best feature: This pack is indifferent to loads. The pack fits and carries the same whether I'm hauling 10 pounds or 50 pounds. This is especially nice since my girlfriend has back problems and I often carry half of her load on top of my own.

Worst gripe: Jingly noise. Everything is attached to the frame with pins and split-rings that can jingle and squeak when you walk. It's getting better as time goes by, but I still notice it occasionally.

I admit that I use an internal frame pack for snowshoeing and skiing since having your load held close makes quick movements much easier. But for muti-day hikes in the summer and fall this one fits the bill.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Trekker 3900 ST versions

In addition to the 1 unisex review above, there is 1 review for another version of the Trekker 3900 ST. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Kelty Unisex Trekker 3900 ST, please share your experience.

Kelty Unisex Trekker 3900 ST

The Unisex Trekker 3900 ST has been discontinued.

The Kelty Unisex Trekker 3900 ST is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new external frame backpack, check out the best reviewed current models.