Kelty Trekker 3900 ST

I have had this pack for around 8 years. The 5 1/2…

Design: external
Size: 3900cc
Number of Pockets: 7
Max. Load Carried: 45 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'4"

I have had this pack for around 8 years. The 5 1/2 pound rating may seem heavy by "modern" standards, but I found the assets offset its weight. I find I stay cooler than with an internal frame.

I like how I can handle the frame without putting stress on the fabric. I prefer the multiple pockets versus the unibody design of the internal. I treat the pockets like "rooms"--one is the "kitchen", another is the "bedroom", another the "bath", etc--so I can find things and stow things quickly and efficiently.

Most people would call this a 3-4 day pack. With careful planning and good food choices, I have hiked 8 days comfortably out of this pack. That is when it weighed in at 45 pounds. Most of the time, I really work to keep it at around 32 or so.

One complaint I have heard about this pack is that it is hard to adjust. Like anything, one must find a good starting point to fit him or herself. I have found this pack very adjustable, and have fitted my pack to people of varying heights and weights. The hip belt is padded and comfortable. I can change strap heights. I can adjust the top rail to carry things on top of the top flap. I can adjust the width of shoulder straps.

My friend has the Sierra Crest version of this pack made for REI. She likes hers equally well. But I will let her put on her own review :)

My husband bought an internal frame for himself when we started upgrading equipment. He hated it. We bought him the men's version of this pack, and he is much happier.

I have found that I do not really get anymore hung up in foliage than my daughter who has an internal frame (which she loves).

The only reason I would consider a new pack is to trim weight with the new generation of materials as my body ages. But for now, I will stick with this tried and true design.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Trekker 3900 ST versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there is 1 review for another version of the Trekker 3900 ST. Read all reviews »

The women's version of the original Kelty pack, the Trekker 3900 pack offers outstanding value. Its classic, proven design has been updated with modern adjustability and comfort features. Designed for short torsos, the Kelty Trekker 3900 features an adjustable suspension and is perfect for women and youths. Large, top-loading packbag sports multiple zippered pockets and a mesh water bottle pocket to organize your gear and keep it within easy reach. Ventilated suspension system features a tightly stretched mesh back panel, padded shoulder straps and dual density foam hipbelt. Sternum strap, load-lifter straps and belt stabilizers help balance the load; pulleylike Scherer Cinch(TM) makes tightening your hipbelt a breeze. Separate sleeping bag compartment can be combined with the main compartment using the internal 3-position zip divider. Spindrift collar cinches down over the main compartment to seal out the weather. Top of pack features a hold-open bar that makes loading and unloading easy. Daisy chain, ice axe loop and lash tabs allow additional gear to be attached to outside of pack. Hydration-compatible design features reservoir pocket and drink tube exit port for on-the-go hydration (reservoir sold separately). Kelty Trekker 3900 is made from lightweight, durable 600-denier ripstop and oxford polyester for light weight and durability.

The backpacking classic with an indestructible adjustable H-frame and plenty of gear pockets. The short torso size is perfect for women and teens. Suspension features padded waist belt, shoulder straps, load lifter straps, sternum strap. Large main compartment with top panel loading and an extended spindrift collar for upward stacking of contents. Sleeping bag compartment with separate front access. Backpack is configured for a tent to be strapped to the outside, underneath the sleeping bag compartment. 4 side pockets; water bottle holder; hydration system compatible; ice axe loops.

- EMS

The Kelty Trekker External Frame Backpack is a backpacking classic. Simple in its design and pure in its function, this pack is the choice for backcountry purists.

Kelty Women's Trekker 3900 ST

The Women's Trekker 3900 ST has been discontinued.

The Kelty Women's Trekker 3900 ST is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 1, 2011 at REI.

If you're looking for a new external frame backpack, check out the best reviewed current models.