Kelty Trekker 3900 ST

I have had this pack for around 8 years. The 5 1/2…

Design: external
Size: 3900cc
Number of Pockets: 7
Max. Load Carried: 45 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'4"

I have had this pack for around 8 years. The 5 1/2 pound rating may seem heavy by "modern" standards, but I found the assets offset its weight. I find I stay cooler than with an internal frame.

I like how I can handle the frame without putting stress on the fabric. I prefer the multiple pockets versus the unibody design of the internal. I treat the pockets like "rooms"--one is the "kitchen", another is the "bedroom", another the "bath", etc--so I can find things and stow things quickly and efficiently.

Most people would call this a 3-4 day pack. With careful planning and good food choices, I have hiked 8 days comfortably out of this pack. That is when it weighed in at 45 pounds. Most of the time, I really work to keep it at around 32 or so.

One complaint I have heard about this pack is that it is hard to adjust. Like anything, one must find a good starting point to fit him or herself. I have found this pack very adjustable, and have fitted my pack to people of varying heights and weights. The hip belt is padded and comfortable. I can change strap heights. I can adjust the top rail to carry things on top of the top flap. I can adjust the width of shoulder straps.

My friend has the Sierra Crest version of this pack made for REI. She likes hers equally well. But I will let her put on her own review :)

My husband bought an internal frame for himself when we started upgrading equipment. He hated it. We bought him the men's version of this pack, and he is much happier.

I have found that I do not really get anymore hung up in foliage than my daughter who has an internal frame (which she loves).

The only reason I would consider a new pack is to trim weight with the new generation of materials as my body ages. But for now, I will stick with this tried and true design.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Trekker 3900 ST versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there is 1 review for another version of the Trekker 3900 ST. Read all reviews »

Kelty Women's Trekker 3900 ST

The Women's Trekker 3900 ST has been discontinued.

The Kelty Women's Trekker 3900 ST is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 1, 2011 at REI.

If you're looking for a new external frame backpack, check out the best reviewed current models.