Kelty Trekker 65

Suspension External
Torso Fit Range 16 - 22 in / 41 - 56 cm
Body Fabric 420D Polyester Ball Shadow
Reinforcement Fabric 420D Polyester Oxford

Bought to replace my first and last internal pack…

Summary

Bought to replace my first and last internal pack that I will ever own.

Pros

• Highly durable
  • Storage space
  • Kelty customer service
  • Manner in which the weight is distributed

Cons

• Haven't found any after using for several miles

I bought this pack after jumping on the internal bandwagon and being highly unsatisfied. I absolutely love it! I have used this pack for several miles of trails both wide open trails and narrow unbeaten trails. I could live out of this pack if I needed to for as long as I needed.

The weight is distributed much better than my internal. I have been able to strap items to the frame if I needed (my Gerber machete is fixed to the side) and the pockets on the outside have sufficient storage for water purification, cookware, cook stove, etc.

When I received the pack the main zipper compartment on the front of the pack was zipped shut and there was no zipper. I called Kelty and not only did an English speakng American answer the phone but I received a brand new pack within a week. I like this pack so much that I have placed an order for fifteen Kelty Yukon external frame packs for my scout troop.

Yeah, I much prefer external frame packs. They ride so much easier.

second gear

I wrote a review years ago for the women's version. I LOVE MINE! The only caveat to age I am giving my pack is I am redesigning the fabric with Silnylon and mesh (I am shooting to carve 2 pounds off the pack weight :D) I wouldn't trade my external for a long haul...nope nope nope!

A great pack. Just needs some time to be adjusted…

Summary

A great pack. Just needs some time to be adjusted correctly to fit your needs.

Pros

• Well built
  • Very large main compartment

Cons

• Load rides too high when fully packed with factory setup
  • 4 small side compartments. 2 small & 1 large would be nice
  • Be sure to carry back-up clovis pins

This is about as good of an external frame pack as you can find nowadays, since the powers that be seem to want to force everyone into using undergunned internal frame packs. I did, however, find that if you pack the main compartment to its max, the load sits WAY above both your head and the frame.  The "Frankenstein's Monster" effect.

I adjusted this by moving the entire pack down the frame, while leaving the suspension system where it belongs.  I am now able to use the pack's full capacity, and even lash my tent to the top of the frame with the load only slightly overhead, and lashing whatever else to the bottom of the frame.  That's the glory of the external frame: it can be adjusted and tweaked to meet your needs.

I suggest anyone purchasing this pack spend ample time playing with different setups with both the suspension system and bag placement before hitting the trail with a heavy load. If you take the time, and fine tune it to your needs, you'll find that this pack is both very comfortable, and large enough to pack for a long trip in the backcountry.

The only other feature I do not care for with this pack is that there are four small zippered compartments on the side.  That seems a little excessive for packing small, easily accessible items. I think a better design would be to have two small compartments on one side, and a larger long compartment on the other that can hold a hatchet, pick, or other useful tool (like a handle of booze perhaps).

Overall, though, this pack is great, and seems like it will give me years and years of good times.

C.C.

Great review!!! I too am a fan of the external frame packs and wish people weren't so mainstreamed into the "new models". Thanks for a killer review!

Purchased this backpack earlier this summer and took…

Purchased this backpack earlier this summer and took it on a 5-day pack trip to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

The pack is outstanding. Several others in the group had internal frame packs and suffered from uneven weight distribution. My pack weighed 40 lbs and was supported evenly by this excellent external frame pack.

In my opinion external frame packs are the best. The Kelty Trekker is outstanding.

Very light and holds everything I need. Wish it had…

Very light and holds everything I need.

Wish it had a better compartment for my hydration system but the top flap zipper works just fine.

I like external frames as I attach additional items as needed for my trips. Internal packs I have experience with don't measure up. However I've always been biased to external.