Kelty Trekker 65

A great pack. Just needs some time to be adjusted…

Summary

A great pack. Just needs some time to be adjusted correctly to fit your needs.

Pros

• Well built
  • Very large main compartment

Cons

• Load rides too high when fully packed with factory setup
  • 4 small side compartments. 2 small & 1 large would be nice
  • Be sure to carry back-up clovis pins

This is about as good of an external frame pack as you can find nowadays, since the powers that be seem to want to force everyone into using undergunned internal frame packs. I did, however, find that if you pack the main compartment to its max, the load sits WAY above both your head and the frame.  The "Frankenstein's Monster" effect.

I adjusted this by moving the entire pack down the frame, while leaving the suspension system where it belongs.  I am now able to use the pack's full capacity, and even lash my tent to the top of the frame with the load only slightly overhead, and lashing whatever else to the bottom of the frame.  That's the glory of the external frame: it can be adjusted and tweaked to meet your needs.

I suggest anyone purchasing this pack spend ample time playing with different setups with both the suspension system and bag placement before hitting the trail with a heavy load. If you take the time, and fine tune it to your needs, you'll find that this pack is both very comfortable, and large enough to pack for a long trip in the backcountry.

The only other feature I do not care for with this pack is that there are four small zippered compartments on the side.  That seems a little excessive for packing small, easily accessible items. I think a better design would be to have two small compartments on one side, and a larger long compartment on the other that can hold a hatchet, pick, or other useful tool (like a handle of booze perhaps).

Overall, though, this pack is great, and seems like it will give me years and years of good times.

C.C.

Great review!!! I too am a fan of the external frame packs and wish people weren't so mainstreamed into the "new models". Thanks for a killer review!

Purchased this backpack earlier this summer and took…

Purchased this backpack earlier this summer and took it on a 5-day pack trip to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

The pack is outstanding. Several others in the group had internal frame packs and suffered from uneven weight distribution. My pack weighed 40 lbs and was supported evenly by this excellent external frame pack.

In my opinion external frame packs are the best. The Kelty Trekker is outstanding.

Very light and holds everything I need. Wish it had…

Very light and holds everything I need.

Wish it had a better compartment for my hydration system but the top flap zipper works just fine.

I like external frames as I attach additional items as needed for my trips. Internal packs I have experience with don't measure up. However I've always been biased to external.

If you've owned or used a Kelty Trekker 65, please share your experience.