Kelty West Coast 4800

I bought this pack 9 years ago and have used it for…

Design: External Frame
Size: 4800
Number of Pockets: 6
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'8"

I bought this pack 9 years ago and have used it for my twice a year 2-3 day trips to Allegheny National Forest.

I am 5'8" and it fits perfectly. It is well made.

I am able to fit my Campmor 0 degree down sleeping bag into the lower compartment and my tent poles rolled up into my sleeping pad can be fastened by using the top cover.

I don't think you can buy this model any longer, but if you manage to find one it is worth it.

The only downside I can think of is that it has no integral capabilities for holding a water bladder - but I don't use those so was no issue for me.

The Kelty West Coast 4800 external frame backpack offers a slim carrying profile and comfortable load distribution with Thru Hiker frame that utilizes a padded backpanel, a Derlin arch support and a 3-layer waistbelt. It comes equipped with a sleeping bag compartment, a zip-out divider, a large front pouch, and a hydration tube port to accomodate a variety of gear. Adjustable shoulder straps and a sternum strap provide added support.

- FogDog Sports

Kelty West Coast 4800

The West Coast 4800 has been discontinued.

The Kelty West Coast 4800 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at FogDog Sports.

If you're looking for a new external frame backpack, check out the best reviewed current models.