Kelty Wind Jammer

I like the simple vintage look combined with the versatility…

Summary

I like the simple vintage look combined with the versatility of the carrying options: backpack, messenger bag strap, side or top handles.

Pros

• Durable material and construction
  • Versatile
  • Good classic retro style

Cons

• Crumply shape if not full, especially holding by the handles
  • Nylon is shiny; was hoping for a more matte canvas look a la vintage Kelty

I saw a backpack on mrporter.com made by kelty and beams plus, and I really wanted that one, but it was expensive and then it was sold out. I can't provide a link here but you can google it.

I found Wind Jammer on backcountry.com and it looked like a good alternative with a similar style so I just went with it.

It is a good medium size and not too bulky. The backpack straps are nice and comfortable, although I really like the old style retro strap attachment that kelty does with leather and a metal pin such as in the backpack I mentioned above. I wish they offered more packs with that strap type (the Kelty Cycle Hiker is another example). I don't really like the way the straps look where they connect to the pack, where the orange colored fabric inside the strap compartment draws attention to itself and the zipper, and the fabric flap over the zipper bunches over the straps. I would prefer a different detailing.

That is really my main complaint. Overall it's still a great pack, very functional and easy to use, as well as being compact and stylish.

Kelty Wind Jammer

The Kelty Wind Jammer is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 8, 2014 at Rocky Mountain Trail.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.