Kelty Yukon 3200

I've had this pack for 15 years now. It's been on…

Summary

I've had this pack for 15 years now. It's been on week-long canoe trips, overnight whitewaters and getting ready for an A/T thru hike. Awesome pack for the money. It's small for an external frame, but it keeps the weight down and with today's ultrlight super small equipment it's a lot of room.

Pros

• Durability
  • Size
  • Lash points

Cons

• Weight (compared to today's light packs)

I was about 5' 10" and 150 lbs when I bought this pack for Scouts. I am now 6' 3" and 200 lbs and still find it comfortable to use.

When I first got it it was nice because I could carry luxuries on a 2- to 3-day trip. Now getting ready for an A/T thru hike It seems really too big. But I love it and will keep using it.

The side pockets are nice for getting to things you need quickly and the top compartment isn't so big you can't find anything in it. I've beaten this pack for 15 years from whitewater to sub freezing winters and it's still in good shape.

Thanks for the review, Graham, and welcome to Trailspace. It sounds like you've gotten a lot of good use out of your Kelty.

I have used this pack for over 5 years and I have…

Max. Load Carried: 55 pounds

I have used this pack for over 5 years and I have used it on many camping trips. I did a 2 week backpacking trip in New Mexico with it and it held up great.

The only reason why I am getting a new pack is because it is starting to get small.

I needed a pack because I tend to overpack or get…

Design: Top loading
Size: 3200
Number of Pockets: 7
Max. Load Carried: 40
Height of Owner: 6'1

I needed a pack because I tend to overpack or get stuck with everyone else's gear.

So far, so good. It's survived a trip thru the airport and survived LAX and ATL and no scratches. On the trip, the pack held up well against the elements, always had a place for something, and fit snuggly to my back; didn't really even notice the pack like I have others. Luckily I have the model with the sternum strap and decent hip belt; and I still can't believe how comfortable it is considering the price and market.

Reviewers tend to recommend this for young adults / scouts but it's also a great bag for seasoned hikers who don't care about the weight nor need to pack everything. I'm 6'1 and it fit OK (I'm a lil tall for it).

This is probably the cheapest external rucksack you…

Design: Old Syle Yukon, top-loading external
Size: ~3 100 cu. in.
Number of Pockets: 5, 1 map pocket
Max. Load Carried: 40 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'5"

This is probably the cheapest external rucksack you can buy that actually will last. At $85 it is a good buy, for a first time backpacker.

It is made of a urethane coated #420 packcloth which rides on a aluminum tubaler frame which is torso height adjustable. Like many common externals it uses rattly pins to hold things in place.

It is pretty comfortable if you use the waist belt. The mesh back panel keeps your back from sweating too much. I wish they had put on a sternum strap, (what? extra $5?).

The top loading design is easy to pack up because when properly configured, a metal bar holds the top open.

I still use this backpacking, especially like the 5 pockets on the outside which open with heavy duty zippers. One map pocket is on the top too. There is enough room to strap on a sleeping bag on the bottom. The pack is pretty solid, but one suport strut loosened on the top part of the frame.

Pros:

*Very cheap!

*Many Pockets

*Very Adjustable

*Average Quality

Cons:

*No Sternum Strap

*VERY basic pack

*Frame may be too long (when adjusted it sticks up too much)

*Uses pins to hold pack in (my opinion, I don't like pins)

I found the pack to be pretty durable and comfortable…

Design: External Frame
Size: ~3,160
Number of Pockets: 6
Max. Load Carried: about 50 - 55 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5'6"

I found the pack to be pretty durable and comfortable for the immense amount of weight I was carrying.

I also liked the number of pockets, you can carry a ton of stuff for a pack that is only about 3100 cubic inches.

Also, it's one of the cheapest packs you can get, too. This one won't break your bank (or your back).

Kelty Yukon 3200

The Yukon 3200 has been discontinued.

The Kelty Yukon 3200 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new external frame backpack, check out the best reviewed current models.