Kifaru KU 5200

Ultralight custom made pack that handles heavy loads.

Summary

Ultralight custom made pack that handles heavy loads.

Pros

• Tough
  • High weight loads in comfort

Cons

• Price is high $560, but this is a custom made best quality pack.
  • That will outlast most others, cheaper in the long run

2#s 14 oz's lightest best ultralight pack period. Add on pods for for more gear. I put 125#s on this and it was as comfortable as any pack I have ever used.  Dont forget at two+pounds you get to add two to seven pounds free compared to other packs. That means you can carry almost a gallon of water and it won't be any heavier than most other packs this size.

Custom made to fit your measurements. Patrick Smith (Kifaru/Mountainsmith) has redefined what is possible with modern materials and best quality construction. This was actually comfortable at 125#s! At least as comfortable as 125#s can be. That many pounds is heavy but the only discomfort was from walking with that much, the pack had not hot spots, sat tight and secure.

Kifaru's ultralight line is at the front of innovation and this pack is perhaps the the defining star of the line. I don't think there is a better all around pack being made today. I had thought I would find it a bit delicate...not at all. I also assumed I would find things I didn't like about it but so far (450 miles in the Lemhi Mountains, ID.) I have not found anything to not like.

Well that's not quite true as I kind of miss using my other packs, but I simply fail to come up with a good reason to use anything else.

The big KU5200 is the only large ultralight pack that handles any size load with comfort, and confidence. It is ideally suited for deep field work, any long venture where self-containment is critical. It has been used extensively with loads exceeding 150 lbs. in relative comfort.

• Load capacity: 150 lbs.
  • 2 lbs., 13 oz.
  • Double layer mil-spec ultra high tenacity American nylon body
  • Bottom/lower front: 500d Cordura armor
  • Kifaru Ultralight Composite stays
  • Lightweight but durable webbing and Airlock Buckles
  • Optional accessories include ultralight pockets, PODS, Grab-Its and GunBearers

Visit Kifaru's KU 5200 page.

Kifaru KU 5200

The Kifaru KU 5200 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.