L.L.Bean Backcountry 3-Person Dome

This a good sturdy tent. I know for a fact it holds…

Price Paid: Approx. $150

Summary

This a good sturdy tent. I know for a fact it holds up to at least 40 mph winds with fly on and tied down. Cheney WA. Sept 15 2013 weather warnings forecast 50 mph winds. Room for a queen size air mattress with room left over for gear. Not including front and back vestibule. Good ventilation and light weight. 4 season rated.

Pros

• Light weight
  • Strong
  • Roomy
  • Good ventilation
  • no pole sleeves to rip & tear all clips
  • good center height I never feel closed in

Cons

• usable cheap stakes
  • Too bright. Sunlight beams through
  • No name poles
  • The screen and door pull strings get caught in zipper

I've owned this tent for at least 2 years, it sleeps three comfortably. Mostly fair weather camping some cold but no snow yet! So far I am pleased. It is fairly lightweight with the fly off and sturdy. Even without the fly it holds light rain and cold out just fine.  I have not woke up in any puddles yet, I do use a foot print or tarp to protect the tent.  The five aluminum pole design measure to be 9mm in thickness I just do no know who makes them.  It packs up quick and easy, folded or stuffed it fits in the bag either way.  Total weight with foot print close to 12 lbs. without fly you loose about half that weight this is me on a home scale. You can find the exact specks on line.

I have a Catoma stealth 1 set up next to it with Easton poles and stakes, poles measuring 8.5 mm that also survived the storm. Sept 15, 2013 weather called for a severe wind storm pushing through Cheney, Spokane, WA area at 50 mph last time this happened less then a month ago one of my trees were snapped in half four foot wide at its base.

When the storm hit, I was still in the process of tying and staking the fly down.  Once completed the tent was solid as a rock. The Catoma next to it flattened out  more than a few times but held its ground eventually I got that one tied down too.

I bought this tent off Ebay for approximately $150 It must have been an irregular because the front vestibule tie down seems to be a little longer then the other making it a little sloppy.

I generally put this thing up in the yard for a week or two at a time, three day hunting trips or vacation adding up to about two months a year.  This is bright and lets the sunshine in. A little darkening would be nice, venting is adequate and would be even better if 2 more vents were placed on top that would allow a breeze to come in from any direction when the panels are closed up, but it breaths well and do not get any condensation.

The door panels and fly are reversed from most tents I've owned the fly is on the outside of the mess and plays hell with the zippers because the diameters are the same, this dose seem to protect the mess.  I called the Tech Rep and was told it stops the snow from building up on the panels, it works for me.  I know my cat was hanging off the mess door panel on my last tent. Durability has been great no zipper blowouts, tears or leaks so far, knock on wood.

Fix my little nit-picky problems and I would have no problems giving this tent a five star rating.

I don't think snow will be a problem unless we are talking extreme conditions in that case I want a North Face two meter Dome. The Catoma sits too low and sweats allot , just to sit up in it would be nice but stealth is the word.  Warm weather without the fly this tents great, closed up not so great.

I like my Backcountry. I think I got a hell of a deal.  This tent should fit right in with the big boys. There you have it — 2 tent reviews in one.

This rugged four-season backcountry dome tent is designed for winter expeditions yet has all the ventilation needed for warm-weather camping. It's been updated to feature a redesigned vestibule system that's roomier and easier to set up. Its exceptionally strong frame bears a load of snow, stands up to heavy winds and sheds torrential downpours. Tent roof and fly have two outlet vents to increase airflow. Five heavy-duty, shock-corded 7,000-series aluminum poles with color-coded clips for quick setup. Two large doors with breathable no-see-um mesh paneling make it easy to get in and out. Dual vestibules allow you to store wet winter gear outside of the tent open flaps in dry weather to enhance ventilation. Six large pockets for organizing gear. WeatherWatch window on fly lets in natural light or can be used for stargazing on clear nights. Fly, frame and footprint can be used independently to create a superlight shelter. Imported. Dimensions Floor 7'8" x 5'2", 6'9" wide at tent center. Area 47 sq. ft. Vestibule area Front 22 sq. ft., rear 5.8 sq. ft. Peak ht. 3'11". Min. wt. 10 lb. 2 oz. Packed size 24" x 9".

- L.L.Bean