La Sportiva Nepal Extreme

Despite being called Nepal Extreme these boots are…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Despite being called Nepal Extreme these boots are NOT suitable for use in EXTREME conditions in NEPAL or elsewhere. Two of our team wearing them suffered frostbite wearing these boots at 5930 metres in Nepal.

Despite the very misleading name these boots are not recommended for use over 4000 metres. On a recent trip to Nepal at 5930 metres the only two people wearing these boots suffered frostbite requiring hospital treatment.

I have contacted the manufacturers who claim they are not recommended over 4000 metres although I cannot find this information on their website. I was taken in by the name and descriptions of suitability for 'high altitude', ' mountain terrain and ice' etc but have suffered the consequences of frostbite.

Heather, thanks for sharing this story. Unfortunately companies can name their stuff whatever they want, without any accountability.

Jake W

what was everyone else in your team wearing?

FromSagetoSnow

Thats terrible. I see these boots at the 10-14K foot range a lot but thats in Summer conditions.

That's very unfortunate, Heather. I hope your friends recovered fully. FYI, for others, while La Sportiva has several different Nepal versions available, the Nepal Extremes were discontinued back around 2007. Its Olympus Mons Evo is recommended for 8000M peaks, the Spantik for 6000-7000M, and the Baruntse for 6000-7000M.

Most of the rest of the team were wearing La Sportiva Spantiks

Ewan

They were not discontinued, they are still made and available in pretty much any decent outdoors shop. Not sure why they are name that way, since they are primarily for summer alpinism and they are by far the most popular boot for Scottish mountaineering and ice climbing. Definitely not for Nepalese heights or temperatures.

Ewan is right that you can still find these. I stand corrected about the Nepal Extreme's availability. La Sportiva does not list any Nepal models under its high mountain footwear: http://www.lasportiva.com/en/mountaineering/mountaineering-man/search-for-lines/high-mountain/#.VM-IWFXF-7k However, it seems to confuse the issue a bit by saying of the Nepal Extremes: "Recommended for: technical use on high altitude terrain and ice" without defining "high altitude" http://www.lasportiva.com/en/mountaineering/mountaineering-footwear-sport-activities/mountaineering/details/products/nepal-extreme-2/#.VM-HE1XF-7k

Ewan

They are listed on the La Sportiva wesbite under "Nepal Series" funnily enough! :P (Can't post a link - not allowed, but just click yours and below high-mountain it says Nepal Series).

Ewan

There's even updated Evo and Cube versions as well as this one. Please change the discontinued part at the top. I don't work for La Sportiva, but inaccuracies irritate me!

Ewan

I also notice that Heather has spammed every review site with this one star review, both mens and womens models (see Cotswold, GoOutdoors). This leads me to believe that her team members made a mistake, she now has a gripe and is pouting about it. A poor workman blames his tools is all I can say.

Hi Ewan, We removed the discontinued info several days ago when I posted above. You shouldn't be seeing it anymore (perhaps you are seeing an older cached version of this product page?). I also realize the Nepal series is still in production with a number of versions. I was trying to point out that La Sportiva does not list any Nepals under its "High Mountain" category because they don't classify them as such for users. They list the Nepal series separately: http://www.lasportiva.com/en/mountaineering/mountaineering-woman/search-for-lines/nepal-series/#.VNNoSVXF-7k

@Ewan, that's a pretty bold assertion against Heather and her team, given you know nothing about her and the circumstances they encountered. And if I had suffered frostbite from a mountaineering boot that isn't even rated to 14,000', I'd be decrying it on every website I could find as well.

FYI, I am confirming the status of the various Nepal models directly with La Sportiva. I believe we may have a North American versus Europe divide on offerings. http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain

Heather Bentley

Hi Ewan B, Not sure what you have against me and our team. All I have done is stated the fact that these boots are not suitable for high altitude mountain terrain and ice in the hope that others will not suffer the same fate as we did. The boots were recommended for use at over 6000metres and fitted by Cotswolds (who have taken our experience very seriously and as a result have reviewed their staff training and recommendations) I consider naming a boot 'Nepal Extreme' when it is not suitable for extreme conditions in Nepal is,at best, misleading. La Sportiva have been quite dismissive and claim the boots are not recommended for use over 4000metres but this fact is not published any where I can find. It would be very useful if all manufacturers and retailers would give some sort of numerical definition of 'high altitude' etc so customers have a quantitative value they can relate to. I appreciate everyone is different and boots suitable for one person may not be warm enough for another but with sleeping bags they give an indication of the range of temperatures they are suitable for, surely a similar system could be introduced for boots and altitudes. It remains a fact that in our team of 6 plus 3 sherpas the only two people wearing Nepal Extremes suffered from frostbite.

Heather Bentley

And also both of us who suffered from frostbite were advised the boots were suitable for use at this altitude by respected retailers.

Thanks for sharing more background on your boot fitting and selection experience, Heather. I'm sorry it turned out so poorly for your teammates.

On a side note for whomever is interested, I followed up with La Sportiva North America out of curiosity. The Nepal Extremes have not been offered in North America for a number of years, but are still widely available in Europe. So, depending on what version of La Sportiva's website you happen to visit, you may see different offerings (for instance comparing some of the urls in comments above). Also a word of warning, my La Sportiva rep added: "The entire Nepal series is designed for ice climbing and mountaineering. However, for high-altitude mountaineering with extremely low temperatures boots from the Mountain lineup such as the Spantik or Baruntse are more appropriate."

Ewan

Heather, what makes you think I have something against you? All I'm doing is pointing out your mistake. I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to spam every shop you could find with your review! These boots are to my mind quite obviously not designed for the altitudes you're talking about. The error lies in knowing your gear. It doesn't say on my running shoes that they're not designed for rock climbing, but that doesn't mean I'm going to blame the shoes if I use them for an unintended purpose.

Absolutely outstanding boots. Very rarely do I manage…

Price Paid: Price match from GoOutdoors - £250

Summary

Absolutely outstanding boots. Very rarely do I manage to find boots which fit me straight out of the box. Very warm, super comfy and the versatile lacing/tongue system allows for a varied configuration to achieve a prefect fit.

Pros

• Comfortable: short break-in period
  • Versatile fitting: removable tongue/lacing lock-off
  • Very waterproof
  • Comfy for walking but stiff lower for climbing

Cons

• A little heavy

Absolutely outstanding boots. Very rarely do I manage to find boots which fit me straight out of the box. After renting a pair from Cotswold Outdoor to test them, I went straight out and bought some from Go Outdoors.

With a little practice finding out the best placement for the tongue (which is removable and re-positionable) they fit me very well. After a couple of uses they are pretty much broken in, and provide enough flex in the upper that flat-footing is comfortable. As for step-kicking and general grip they are fantastic.

My one, small gripe is that they are a little on the heavy side, but they are an older design. Seemingly now superseded by the very pricey Evo GTX version.

If you're looking for the ideal winter mountaineering boot for Scotland (or summer alpinism) then look no further. Very warm (though obviously if you're going up K2 you'll need a bit more), super comfy and the versatile lacing/tongue system allows for a varied configuration to achieve a prefect fit (or as close as my feet will ever allow!)

Daniel Oates

I'm familiar with La Sportiva's trail runners, but not with their boots. I'd love to see a picture of the removable tongue/lacing lock-off that you mention, sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing, Ewan B & welcome to Trailspace!

FromSagetoSnow

I see these boots on Mount Rainier and other peaks all the time. there must be something to them.

Ewan

Hi Daniel, basically it's a thick leather tongue (as you'd expect) but rather than being stitched to the upper, it's held in at the roof of the upper with velcro. It's absolutely impossible to tell that it's any different to a normal tongue while wearing, but enables you to match the fit with your foot better. I found this useful as I have quite a low arch. The lock off is achieved by locking lace loops which push into position, allowing you to lace the lower and upper independently (great if you've got some flat to walk - you can lace the bottom tight like a shoe and leave the upper quite loose).
Jeff - they are certainly one of the most common boots used in the mountains here in Scotland too.

I initially bought these for a 5500m peak in Nepal,…

Price Paid: £230

I initially bought these for a 5500m peak in Nepal, but have since used them for summer alpine use and Scottish winter. Utterly bomb proof, comfortable and warm- would never consider another brand.

Superb boot -- a little on the heavy side these days…

Use: ice climbing, mountaineering
Break-in Period: couple of days
Weight: >2Kg a pair
Price Paid: €220

Superb boot -- a little on the heavy side these days but ultra well made and comfy. I use them primarily for water ice climbing and they are awesome.

There is no route I would not attempt in these alpinist's…

Price Paid: $420 USD

There is no route I would not attempt in these alpinist's dream boots. The break in was short, very short. The fit was perfect in about ten minutes of fiddling with the system.

There is only one drawback to these boots: It is a profound mistake for a typical dirtbag climber to try these on as there is no way to resist their supple beauty and function; money will leak out of every pocket until there is none left. Try these on at your own peril...they will own you if you do!

I have asked to be buried in my Nepals when I die,…

Break-in Period: Do they?

I have asked to be buried in my Nepals when I die, if that's any indication how much I love them. Not always the most comfortable, but my feet are super-sensitve. I found the trick to be the right combination of liners and socks and tightening the laces just enough to make the boot snug, but not too tight. They are a touch narrow up front. I've worn them on long hikes (7+hours) at -20F and done alright. I don't think that's possible in any other single leather boot. The best thing is that they CLIMB. When other guys are stopping to put on crampons, I'm still cutting into hard, steep snow and able to keep moving. I'm looking for a pair of Nepal Tops now.

These are the FINEST boots I've ever had on my feet,…

Materials: 3.2mm Leather-roughout
Use: Ice Climbing/Cold Weather
Break-in Period: Ha! None. Ready to go!
Weight: 4lbs 8oz's (+/-)

These are the FINEST boots I've ever had on my feet, hands down - no comparison. None. They are extremely rigid, but flex perfectly at the ankles for French tech. So far, only worn around "town" - nothing in the hills, but would take them anywhere, anytime for nearly anything (not dancing). Walked about enough to expect blister(s), but nothing of the sort - right out of the box. Also, these were an unbelievable deal as they retail list for $420.00. The laces are a little short and LaSportiva USA has kinda been dragging they feet on replacements - "out of stock", etc. Have had several other less rigid boots on my feet (properly fitted by "certified" fitters - myself included) and nothing else even remotely comes close.

I recently bought these puppies, and let me tell you-…

Use: Ice climbing and Alpine climbing/ Winter adventures
Break-in Period: uhhh-very little!
Weight: hmm, 6lbs.
Price Paid: $410 US

I recently bought these puppies, and let me tell you- they are spectacular boots. I had envisioned several awefull months of breaking them in, but to my suprize-they treated me like an old friend on our very first ice climbing adventure. I think that this is were the Nepal Extremes really demonstrate their prowess. In snow and on the approach, these boots keep my feet very warm, with nary a wimper. And when we hit the ice, they are eager to front point and french technique all day long. I almost feel bad about putting them away at the end of the day... If your interested in a boot that was built for serious winter use and abuse, the Nepal Extreme is you tour de force!!

I purchased these boots, before the winter started,…

Use: Mountain
Break-in Period: None
Weight: 2 kg
Price Paid: £190

I purchased these boots, before the winter started, as I live in an exposed part of the United Kingdom. When I first got them, I thought they were going to be heavy, and difficult to walk in. To my surprise, the weren't. They took 2 weeks to break in, and are extremely warm.

I would recommend these boots to anyone. A++++

Update: April 12, 2000

When I purchased these boots, I thought that they might need some breaking in. But to my shock, the fitted like a glove from day one, and they are very comfortable to walk in.

I am on my 2nd pair of Nepal Extremes and find them…

I am on my 2nd pair of Nepal Extremes and find them the perfect Alps or Scottish winter climbing boot. They fit great, take minimal bedding in, they're warm. The old style Vibram commando sole unit is the best of any boot I have ever used. On cold winter, the lack of a Gore-Tex lining is good as well, makes the boot better-breathing. Brilliant boots, buy some!

La Sportiva Men's Nepal Extreme

The La Sportiva Men's Nepal Extreme is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 13, 2007 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.