La Sportiva Omega GTX

Best For: Technical terrain including both rock and dirt, and moisture rich environments.

men's
Weight 23.42 oz / 664 g

Felt broken in after just a few miles. Great fit for…

Summary

Felt broken in after just a few miles. Great fit for narrow heel/wide toe people. Offers 12.5 size.

Pros

• Sizing
  • Break-in
  • Waterproofness
  • Build
  • Grip

Cons

• Thin sole/lugs
  • Laces

After having owned a few pairs of lower end boots, I decided to upgrade to a higher level.

Looked at the usual: Lowa, Vasque, Asolo, Zamberlan. Then the salesperson at REI had me try these.

I've heard of the brand, but didn't know much about it. After 4-5 other boots I tried these on and immediately was impressed with how well they fit as well as how comfortable they were.

The heel was firmly planted, mid-foot was just snug, and the toe area gave just the right amount of wiggle room. One nag I had with a few of the other boots was that there seemed too much room above the toes, this boot had room, but not excessive.

Even thought these boots seemed quite supple out of the box, after only 25 miles they really seemed to fit like the proverbial glove.

The lacing seemed adequate to provide good support, the first hook locked the fore-foot in place once you dialed in the right amount of tension.  The supplied insole provided good cushioning, I have yet to think about replacing them.

Did the waterproof test before taking them out, in about 4-5 inches of bath-tub water I didn't feel a drop inside. Having a real leather outer probably helps with this. All the other boots I've had were synthetic and eventually leaked at seams.

The only nag I have is the way the sole is constructed, in two parts, like a running shoe. The harder rubber that meets the pavement seems a little thin. However, I've yet to put mileage on these boots to put that to the test yet, so I may update this review once I get some good mileage in.

On a 25-degree morning, these boots provided toasty feet with some SmartWool socks.  I think they may be a little too much for hot weather. I'll update with my findings once that happens.

Stephen S.

After wearing a full day including a short 3 mile walk, the 12.5 size seemed a little small. Luckily I purchased at REI and was able to take back and get the 13 with no problems.

Comfortable out of the box. I think the wide toe box…

Summary

Comfortable out of the box.

Pros

• Wide toe box
  • Good upper boot flex
  • Good traction

I think the wide toe box is paramount for me. To me it seems most European boots and approach shoes have a narrow toe box that squeezes my toes. I bought these boots to replace a pairs of all leather Lowa BP boots that were stiffer at the upper boot and caused some discomfort in the long period of breaking-in.

I always replace the factory footbed with a high-arch sport footbed. While I have not worn them for more then a couple hours in the Colorado winter, they have keep my feet warm and dry. I think the rubber toe guard is well constructed/molded. I have also found the Vibram sole to provide good traction on snow.

I have worn these boots at work, inside and outside, for upwards of 8-9 hours a day for the past month without any discomfort. I like these boots. I am looking forward to a good summer hiking and peak bagging season in these boots.

Let us know how they continue to work. I've found many products that I liked at first aren't so great after a few months of use.