La Sportiva Wildcat

For my activities, the ideal hiking shoe. A sturdy…

Source: tried it in the store

Summary

For my activities, the ideal hiking shoe. A sturdy heel cup stabilizer that keeps me firm in uneven terrain with a non-waterproof mesh upper that breaths for warmer hikes and drains for creek crossings.

Pros

• Great security and support around foot.
  • NOT waterproof!!!
  • Top quality control and solidly built to last.
  • Perfect fit for my European thiner heels and wider front foot if you go up 1/2 to 1 Euro. size.

Cons

• The footbed is too soft for pack support. Need insole for bottom support.
  • Prefer not to wear on concrete or asphalt. Its tread is for on/off trails.

I bought the Wildcat as a test platform to get the same company's Raptor, which is a burlier style (now Ultra Raptor) as they were the same fit style.  I have come to prefer the Wildcat for the regions that I hike more commonly, although the Raptor might be better in more tougher conditions. I have just purchased my 2nd pair even though my first pair still has quite a bit of life left in it, despite frequent wear for 1 1/2 years.

Even though I should be a 46.5, the 47 fit me perfectly with thinner wool socks (DeFeet Wooleators to Smartwool light PHD).  I have used them with a 20 lb. pack with a Sole Thin Sport Moldable Footbed for bottom support and with factory insoles without a pack. I prefer low cut shoes as I greatly prefer a low-ankle sprain to any high-ankle sprain (neither are good, but low-ankle sprains can be gotton over in a short while).

I can use either a simblissity or Dirty Girl trail gaiter with the shoe to keep junk out of the low cut. On side angles, they are secure in keeping my feet from "sliding around" in the footwear as almost all low cut shoes do with me.

As I live in Texas, I am also tired of "waterproof" footwear with their difficulty in breathing, and having to remove boots for stream crossings, which exist in some of my preferred trails. If you wish to try lighter weight hiking, or want a burly trail shoes, see if these fit the bill. I did and am glad.

Go# Wow. They may depress more than slightly after…

Go# Wow. They may depress more than slightly after a thorough two hundred miles of wear as mentioned, but what miles those are/ Incredible.

I had to get the Gore-tex version last month to check out the other side of the tracks. I weigh enough at present, and my feet have had a brute life. The sock type fit is secure enough and sucks up to the individual with its own idea still maintained. The cushioning is unmatched for long fast technical single track hiking. Long steep descents may prove sore tootsies because it's hard to lace tight the forefoot.

As for every other part of the hike, it's worth the trade off. You can't go wrong if you put in some red laces.

I love the Wildcats but unfortunately they are not…

I love the Wildcats but unfortunately they are not very durable. My first pair failed in about 250 miles of trail running.

The problem is with the heel cushion. Overtime it starts compressing and you lose stability. Mine compressed over a half inch. During a race they eventually caused my heel to start slipping resulting in a bad blister. Also I noticed the sole itself cracks.

I've never seen such a bad failure in quality trail shoes with relatively low miles. La Sportiva really needs to take a serious look at the durability problem.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Wildcat versions

In addition to the 3 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Wildcat. Read all reviews »

Visit La Sportiva's Wildcat page.

La Sportiva's Wildcat is their most cushioned trail running shoe yet. It digs into any surface with its FriXion X-axis rubber outsole, providing incredible traction and added cushion. Even more cushion is created by its single density midsole and plush LaSpEVA 2.4 mm lasting board. This trail running shoe is stable, neutral, well cushioned and ready for any technical terrain.

- CampSaver.com

For neutral runners wanting superb cushioning on their trail runs, look no further than the Wildcat from La Sportiva.

La Sportiva outfitted the Men's Wildcat Trail Running Shoe with its ultra-sticky FriXion sole to ensure traction in any conditions. Whether you're in steep, loose dirt or traversing a rock slab, these La Sportiva shoes keep you upright and going strong. An AirMesh upper ensures plenty of ventilation in hot summer heat as well, so you don't have to stress over nasty, sweaty, blister-prone feet.

A stable neutral extremely well cushioned waterproof trail running shoeFeatures New onepiece high frequency molded lacing harness High cushion midsole with 24mm LaSpEVA layer for added shock absorbtion Tongue webbing for tongue control and stability One piece mesh upper for excellent adaptability and comfort Stretch GORETEX lining provides an excellent fit and waterproof protection Aggressive outsole bites into the trail and ensures excellent tractionSpecsWEIGHT 1415 oz 400 gLAST TempoFIT WideUPPER AirMesh Trail Cage TPU Transkinetic Heel Stabilizer UreTech reinforcementsLINING GoreTex Extended Comfort FootwearMIDSOLE MEMIex Nylon molded Flex Transfer shank 24mm LaSpEVADROPmm 12mmCUSHIONING 32ASOLE FriXion AT Impact Brake System XAxis

- Bentgate.com