La Sportiva Wildcat

This spring La Sportiva sent me a pair of women’s…

Materials: AirMesh upper, UreTech lining, FriXion AT sole
Use: technical trail running and hiking
Break-in Period: none
Weight: 9.95 oz per shoe (women's)
Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps
Price Paid: sample provided by La Sportiva

This spring La Sportiva sent me a pair of women’s Wildcat trail running — wait, I mean mountain running — shoes to test. I’ve been wearing the Wildcats trail running and hiking in Maine and New England for several months now and I’m extremely pleased with them.

While I have the opportunity to test many models of outdoor footwear, I rarely accept the offers, since choosing good footwear depends so much on personal fit and preference. However, the La Sportiva Wildcats earn a rare, noteworthy exception.

The Wildcats are sold as a neutral, stable shoe, with lots of cushioning, and they deliver. I have average feet: size 7.5 women’s, medium width, medium arch. While La Sportiva shoes have been considered narrow in the past, that’s not true here. These immediately fit my medium feet beautifully, straight out of the box.

The Wildcats really feel like they’re cradling and supporting my foot, without any tightness; the ankle collar fits snug like a bootie, keeping out debris; and a roomy toe box provides ample space, even when running downhill. I’ve never had a single blister, hot spot, jammed toe, or other issue while or from wearing the Wildcats.

As with other La Sportiva footwear I’ve tried, the traction is very good and trustworthy in all but the most dicey conditions. I’ve run and hiked on dirt roads, leaf-strewn, uneven trails, and steep, wet, rocky singletrack with them, even in the rain. The deep lugs grip the ground, occasionally taking some of it home with you.

The outsole is solid, protecting your feet on rocky terrain, without feeling stiff. The shoe’s upper is made of a lightweight, breathable AirMesh material, which conversely means it will let in water as soon as you step in a puddle. So the Wildcats are best for warm, dry conditions, though I’ve worn them in the rain with success.

The Wildcats feel light on your feet (women’s weigh 9.95 oz, men’s 11.96 oz), while offering a supportive, well-cushioned ride. These are La Sportiva’s most cushioned trail running shoe, and you can tell.

For several months I’ve routinely chosen them to hike and run in, over my own trail runners and trail shoes. They're also an excellent shoe to bring when traveling, since they work so well for both running and hiking.
I’m planning a Presidential Traverse for the end of this summer, and I expect to wear the Wildcats for the 24 miles that day. Based on my positive experience with these shoes, I would buy a second pair as replacements for trail running and hiking.

As with any footwear, make sure they fit your feet first. But, if these do, you should feel very confident about the La Sportiva Wildcat’s performance and high quality for your mountain runs. They offer a great fit and excellent traction, stability, and cushioning. I recommend them highly.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Wildcat versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 3 reviews for other versions of the Wildcat. Read all reviews »

Visit La Sportiva's Wildcat page.

The Women's Wildcat Trail Running Shoe includes the same super-sticky FriXion rubber that you find on La Sportiva's climbing shoes, so you know it'll stay put on the slick stuff. While all those other poor suckers slip and fall on that traversing rock slab section, you get along just fine. La Sportia also added aggressive lugs for increased traction in the mank and an AirMesh upper to provide serious breathability.

Free Shipping. La Sportiva Women's Wildcat Shoe FEATURES of the La Sportiva Women's Wildcat Shoe Simple one-piece upper with a protective wear-resistant mesh trail cage 2.4mm LaSpEVA lasting board for sublime out-of-the-box cushioning Foot-wrap lacing harness provides a secure, stable fit for every type of foot SPECIFICATIONS of the La Sportiva Women's Wildcat Shoe Wide Fit Weight: 9.84 oz / 2 79 g Upper: AirMesh/ Trail Cage/ TPU Transkinetic Heel Stabilizer/ UreTech reinforcements Lining: Honeycomb Mesh (tongue and heel only) Midsole: Injection Molded MEMIex/ Nylon molded Flex Transfer shank/ 2.4mm LaSpEVA Sole: FriXion AT/ Impact Brake System X-Axis Heel: 22mm Toe: 10mm Drop: 12mm Cushioning: Midsole: 32A Last: Women's Tempo This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

A neutral, extremely well-cushioned trail running shoe, the La Sportiva Wildcat offers great stability.

- EMS

CLOSEOUTS . Get wildcat-like agility on the trail with the extraordinary support, traction and cushioned comfort of La Sportiva Wildcat trail running shoes. Available Colors: BURGUNDY/WHITE, GREY/SAGE, WHITE/MINT, GREY/ORANGE. Sizes: 37, 37.5, 38, 38.5, 39, 39.5, 40, 41.5, 43, 40.5, 41, 42, 42.5, 43.5, 36, 36.5.

- Sierra Trading Post