Leatherman Bit Kit

I got a kit for my Surge and another one with an adapter…

I got a kit for my Surge and another one with an adapter for my Core. I do not know what kind of metal Leatherman uses to manufacture these but they wear so quickly. I do not like em at all.

I bought this bit kit at the same time that I bought…

I bought this bit kit at the same time that I bought my Leatherman Charge TTi (about 7-8 months ago...and I feel that for the price what you get is a fair bargain.)

Actually the main reason that I ordered the kit in the first place, is that while many early reviewers said that I should have gotten a single tray bit kit with mu TTi when I bought it, I got no such accessory. So right off the bat I popped for the larger kit.

My first complaint about this kit, is that for its list price (almost twice the price I paid for it) that it does not include the universal bit adapter that allows you to use other 1/4" universal bits. This accessory is yet another $9.40 on Amazon.com.

My second issue with the kit is that I have had several of the bits "round off" upon their first or second use. I am a hard user (by this I mean I use my tool often and repeatedly), but not an abuser (no cheater bars, or hammering on the thing :)

I understand that for the cost of this kit that Leatherman may not be able to use the carbide steel that some of the trade manufactures like Kline Tools use in their screwdrivers (this grade of steel tips are hard enough to produce a screwdriver that will last through daily abuse of an electrician of construction worker for years and years, I have a set of Klien Tools that are 15 years old and my #2 Phillips is just starting to wear out after having been used as knockout punch, and a drywall punch... then a screwdriver!)

I personally would rather pay $25 for the kit (once every decade) rather than $12.50 (twice a year) and have the bits made of this type of super resilient carbide steel...especially since it's always the same bits that get eaten up so fast, and Leatherman does not sell individual replacement bits necessitating buying a whole new kit.

As for the little sheath that comes with it, I rather like it...and it make carry in a pocket rather comfortable. Since i use the little pocket behind my Leatherman MT in the main sheath to store a little pair of slip joint pliers I have to use the small sheath that came with the set to store the bits. BTW, If you do buy the universal bit extender, there is plenty of room to store it in this sheath.

As for extra weight, this kit is very lightweight (maybe 5-7 oz.) so to me insignificant...though some hardcore backpackers will want to count every oz.

One other thing that I would like to see added as an option for this kit is, maybe one more tray of common "security" bits that show up all of the time on electronic products... even if this tray was a separate add on item.

For as much use as I get out of my MT on a daily basis I don't use this kit as much as I thought that I might...nevertheless it is a daily companion in my hip pocket and is on my "don't leave home w/o it" list if you have an appropriate MT to take advantage of it. Most of my complaints are minor details, but as we all know its the details that make a great 5 star product.

Visit Leatherman's Bit Kit page.

Leatherman's best selling multi-tool. Tools include: needle and regular pliers, wire cutters, hard-wire cutters, clip-point knife, serrated knife, saw, scissors, wood/metal file, diamond coated file, large and small bit drivers, large screwdriver, 8 inch ruler, bottle/can opener, wire stripper and lanyard attachment. Length: 4". Weight: 8.5 oz. 25-yr warranty.

- Mountains Plus

The Leatherman Bit Kit for the K503X Knife includes 42 bits to expand the usefulness of your knife.

- Mountain Gear

This Leatherman bit kit turns your ordinary multitool into an extraordinary one with a collection of 21 double-sided bits. 21double-sided bits offer a total of 42 different tools; each bit is zinc-coated steel for strength and corrosion resistance. Includes Hex 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm; Hex 1/4 in., 7/32 in., 3/16 in., 5/32 in., 9/64 in., 1/8 in., 7/64 in., 3/32 in., 5/64 in., 1/16 in., 1/20 in. Robertson #1, #2, #3; Pozi #1, #2, #3; Torx #10, #15, #20, #25, #27, #30; Phillips #0, #1, #2, #3; flat screwdriver 1/8 in., 3/32 in., 5/32 in., 3/16 in., 7/32 in., 1/4 in. Phillips and flat eyeglass screwdrivers.

Leatherman Bit Kit - Any Leatherman tool or knife with a bit driver will accept these 21, double-sided tool steel bits.Bits are:Hex 1.5mm and 2mmHex 2.5mm and 3mmHex 4mm and 5mmHex 6mm and 1/4"Hex 7/32" and 3/16"Hex 5/32" and 9/64" Hex 1/8" and 7/64"Hex 3/32" and 5/64"Hex 1/16" and .050"Square Drive #3 and #2Square Drive #1 and Pozi Pozi #2 and #1Torx #10 and #15Torx #20 and #25Torx #27 and #30Phillips #0 and #3Phillips #1 and #2Slotted 3/32" and 1/8"Slotted 5/32" and 3/16"Slotted 7/32" and 1/4"Phillips and Flat Tip Eyeglasses ScrewdriverFits: Skeletool, Skeletool CX, Charge AL, Charge ALX, Charge TTi, Surge, Wave, Charge Ti, Charge XTi, c33B/c33Bx, c55B/c55Bx, e33B/e33Bx, e55B/e55Bx, k502/k503x, h502/h503, e306x/e307x, Removable Bit Driver

- Massey's Outfitters