Leatherman OHT Multitool

For the first attempt at this design (formerly Gerber),…

Summary

For the first attempt at this design (formerly Gerber), it's not too bad.

Pros

• One-handed use
  • Price

Cons

• Build quality
  • Knife length

So far the OHT has been a mixed bag in the online reviews that I've read. I was hesitant after reading them.  After actually handling it, I'm more comfortable with my purchase.

I will say this, the multi-tool is a fine piece and will get the job done, but overall, it's not quite up to the build quality standards I've come to expect from Leatherman (based on the Wave that I also own). The reasons being, the outer skins of the tool are very thin, if you can find one on display somewhere you will see.  They appear to be stamped aluminum I'm guessing.

Also the movement when the tools open isn't as refined and fluid as on my Wave. I'm not sure how the steel compared between those two models either, but the OHT has very visible grooves from grinding on some of the tools. It's also very heavy, heavier than my Wave even...I didn't think that was possible, I think it's a bit wider too.

The spring loaded pliers are very nice and the mechanism for deploying them works very well. The other blades and screwdrivers are all well made but still lack the finish and overall design that other Leatherman models have.  The knife blades are very short and some of the screwdrivers are so short they're virtually useless.  It lacks scissors, but I already knew that going in. Also no option for the bit kit.

I got this to carry on the trail and for that it works just fine. I also like the addition of the rescue hook, I read one review where they complained about its dullness, but I had no issue slicing through some extra webbing I had lying around.

I'm not not recommending it, but I would try one out at a store before you buy it, or buy it from REI with their fantastic return policy. I'm enjoying it so far, and for the first time Leatherman has tried using this mechanism, it's not too shabby.  I can't wait until they refine this a bit more with input from actual owners.

The Leatherman OHT is a one-hand-operable multi-tool. This industry-first tool features spring-loaded pliers and wire-cutters so you don't tire your hand adjusting and readjusting your grip. The handles have visual imprints of the tool beneath making for quick identification. A lifesaving strap cutter and oxygen bottle wrench, threading for common-size cleaning rods and much more make this a one-handed workhorse of a tool.

- CampSaver.com

The Leatherman OHT multitool may ensure the success of your next backcountry excursion or extended backpacking trip. Be a little more prepared for the unexpected with its easily accessible tools.

You know how you've always wished you could use your multitool with one hand? Well, Leatherman has granted your wish with the OHT. This multitool is an industry-first, incorporating both one-hand-operable pliers and one-hand-operable blades to make your day just a little easier.

- EMS

The versatility and durability you'd expect from a Leatherman in a refined one-handed opening design. Raised icons on the stainless-steel body let you quickly identify the right tool for the job. Its comprehensive tool selection includes: standard pliers, needlenose pliers, three flathead screwdrivers, one Phillips screwdriver, saw, serrated knife, threaded for an 8-32 cleaning rod attachment, straight edge knife, strap cutter, oxygen tank wrench, replaceable wire cutters, can and bottle opener and an integrated lanyard attachment. Nylon sheath included. USA, components imported. Length closed 4.5"L. Weight 9.9 oz.

- L.L.Bean