This multi-tool is definitely high-quality. It has…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

This multi-tool is definitely high-quality. It has a very solid feel and thus far seems to be built to last two lifetimes. The blades are sharp out of the package and all tools lock into place when being used.

This also lends toward two significant issues, from my perspective, which are 1) the tools can only be accessed when the Rebar is opened up, and 2) opening or closing the Rebar requires two hands.

Pros

• Quality construction and material
  • Leatherman brand support and service
  • Multi-use, locking tools

Cons

• Requires both hands to open and close
  • Cannot access tools unless opened

This is my first Leatherman product and it was a gift. I have been familiar with the brand and the quality and reputation which has accompanied the brand for a long time but was reluctant to pay the (somewhat) premium price for a new tool when my old Swiss Army Multi-tool was still serving its purpose. Well, the quality and feel of this thing immediately made me smile.

The tools are precision made with high-quality, strong materials and the thought process and design put into these tools is evident all throughout the design. On my first "official" use I had to cut dowel rods to length for my son's Scout Derby Car and the wood cutter worked well—albeit on soft, small pieces of wood.

On my first trip with this tool I was forced to saw both larger and smaller branches to clear an area for hanging two hammocks and the saw blade performed beautifully. I felt confident with the locking mechanism as I used the saw blade, and all the other tools for that matter.

The pliers are strong and can be used for a multitude of tasks, but most importantly to me is the precision of the plier tips; they perfectly come together to form a vice-like grip on anything you're working with. There are even measurement indicators on the handle with one side being in inches and the other in centimeters.

There are two flaws in this design for my liking. One flaw is having to use both hands to close or open the tool. The other flaw is having to open up the tool (pliers) to access any of the other tools. Both of these things just don't prove convenient for my purpose and are the only reasons I subtracted 1.5 stars.

I would definitely recommend the brand, and would recommend the Rebar for someone who requires the specific tools this one has and who doesn't mind the two drawbacks mentioned above.

Welcome to Trailspace, Mike! Thanks for the helpful review of your Leatherman. It would be great to see some pictures of it in your review if you're willing to add some.

1 month ago

Check out the video below:-)

Price Paid: 60€

Summary

Check out the video below:-)