Leki Super Makalu COR-TEC PA AS

I've been using Leki Super Makalu COR-TEC PA AS trekking…

Summary

I've been using Leki Super Makalu COR-TEC PA AS trekking poles for about 5 years now and I haven't had any issues with them breaking or coming apart at the worse possible time. I like the 15 degree angled handles, the feel of the cork and the ability to adjust the wrist straps with the dial adjuster that sits on top of each handle.

The anti-shock system works great too and can be set to non-anti-shock as well. Very nice. We use them primarily for approach hikes to 14'ers and smaller peaks. Very light and durable. The only thing I don't like about them is the length adjusters. I like BD's flick-lock system much better as it is fast and simple to use over the constant unscrewing and tightening of two separate adjusters on the Leki Makalu's.

Pros

• Very adjustable
  • Works great on inclines

Cons

• Awkward to adjust length
  • Expensive

Could compact down a bit more for alpine climbing trips..etc. A solid tool for the mountains, though and I would purchase them again. I prefer flick-lock poles over the screw adjust type poles. I'd like to see a male camera screw stub on more of the higher-end trekking poles...maybe a detachable compass as well [-:

I've been using these poles now for about two years…

I've been using these poles now for about two years in all conditions, and they've performed well and I have really enjoyed them. They've provided all the benefits of trekking poles (stability, stamina, blah blah blah), but I've had a few problems with them.

First discrepancy, my model has a cork grip on it with the ergonomic tilt. While the cork feels good on a hot day, the cork handles give me blisters when wet. No matter what. This usually prompts me to pack them up when it rains, which is unfortunate because I could use the added stability. However, I believe this blister issue depends on a person's hands, so don't automatically hate on the cork.

Second discrepancy, the locking system slowly loosens over time and especially in inclement weather. This causes them to contract when pressure is put on them. Not good when hiking in the snow. I'll spare you the story. However, I could have a faulty pole. I don't know.

Overall, I like them because I am obviously still using them. The straps are very comfortable, and the anti shock has saved my legs a lot of pain on those long, downhill trail descents. Leki says that these poles are their cornerstone. I believe them. My problems have not been bad enough to make me feel any different. I recommend them. A little pricey, but totally worth it for a high end trekking pole.

If you've owned or used a Leki Super Makalu COR-TEC PA AS, please share your experience.

Leki Super Makalu COR-TEC PA AS

The Super Makalu COR-TEC PA AS has been discontinued.

The Leki Super Makalu COR-TEC PA AS is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new antishock trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.