Light My Fire Spork Titanium

A great example of "Penny wise, pound foolish." I…

Summary

A great example of "Penny wise, pound foolish."

Pros

• A perfect backcountry tool

Cons

• Nothing

I think when a lot of people get in to camping and backpacking the prices make them blink. "14 bucks for a freaking spoon? I'll grab a couple of these plastics ones for 5 bucks." And then the spoons break so they buy more. If they get in to it, eventually they start seeing the wisdom in spending the money to "buy it once."

If you're researching sporks this is the one to buy. Once.

Less than an ounce, rock solid, perfect form, cleans easily, and unless you lose it, could be the last spork you buy.

It also has a way better "feel" than plastic and, while I don't have any scientific data to confirm this, I'm pretty sure it makes food taste better.

Rob R

I have seen these for $10.99 at Natural Grocers at the checkout. I don't have any affiliation to NG, just saying.

I have a titanium long spoon to get into the bottom of the bag. Thanks for posting, TJ.

FromSagetoSnow

Can it reach into the bottom of a freeze-dried dinner without getting your fingers messy?

T.J.

Nope. :) A little bag tilting or eating out of a bowl or pot is in order. I usually carry a GSI Soloist which comes with an insulated bowl.

FromSagetoSnow

Cool, I carry the same bowl

KiwiKlimber

I've been using the plastic ones for a while, but think it's time to upgrade. One plastic one snapped in half and another busted a tine. It's between this and a Snow Peak spork.

Dr. Bryan Ryles

Thanks for the review, TJ; I have the same one I bought a year ago, and fully agree, it's the best one out there. The knife section works great and stays sharp to cut up my morning vegan sausage! I keep mine in a lightweight zip lock bag with my cooking gear: it keeps the fork part from cutting into the sil stuff sack with my other gear.

The Light My Fire titanium spork is a handsome blend…

Summary

The Light My Fire titanium spork is a handsome blend of form and function, light weight and strength. If you are counting ounces for the trail, and need a spork that will not melt or break, "fork" over for this one.

Pros

• Strong
  • High bling factor

Cons

• Not cheap- $13
  • Scratches non-stick surfaces
  • Does not float
  • Small

17 grams, 7 inches, titanium. This Spork is not a one-ended spoon with little nubs in it. It is a gracefully arched handle with a spoon on one end and a fork on the other.

The fork end is modified a bit with a serrated flat on the last tine for a makeshift knife edge. All edges are just dull enough to not poke a hole in your dry-bag. The knife function is kind of a bonus but bring a steakknife if you like your fillet well done.

I have broken several plastic versions of this design but have been using this Ti version for 7 years and just bought another to have a pair. Probably it will scratch non-stick coated cookware. Being made of Ti, you can heat it in a fire to sterilize or clean it. I heated mine red hot to get a cool blued metal color. It will not rust. Wish they made a larger version as well.

It's a metal spork. I use to have two plastic versions…

Price Paid: can't remember

Summary

It's a metal spork.

Pros

• Won't break
  • The spoon works
  • The fork works

I use to have two plastic versions of these until two cold mornings, and two cups of thick oatmeal broke them in half (plastic is very brittle in the cold). Luckily, the titanium version doesn't have that problem. I've owned this spork for a few years now and it still works like the day I got it.

Great backcountry eating utensil. The Light My Fire…

Summary

Great backcountry eating utensil.

Pros

• Metal, so won't melt on hot pans
  • Fork, spoon, and knife, so you only need to carry one utensil.

Cons

• Heavier than the plastic LMF spork
  • For thick stuff like steak one needs a separate knife

The Light My Fire Spork is a wonderful addition to your backcountry gear. I use this spork on my scout troop's monthly outings and have never been let down.

The spork combines three utensil into one handy to pack spork. On one end is the spoon and the other a fork with serrations down one side of the fork. This is a wonderful peice of gear for all but the most stringest ounce-counters. The titanium is expensive but worth it because of its durability and long-life.

I also used the spork for an overnighter on the Art Loeb trail and it worked amazingly storing in pack and working for every food we ate.  The only con would be the fact with thick food you need to use a separate knife.

Bottom Line: This is great piece of gear that will for a long time and always be there when you need it.

Received Light My Fire Spork Titanium today. I used…

Summary

Received Light My Fire Spork Titanium today. I used it on a great Mexican burrito; it was very sturdy looks great and is reasonably priced.

Pros

• Very strong

Cons

• None to date

I will be using this soon. It's still winter in Wyoming and I'm not a winter weather guy. So, as soon as I go hiking I will be updating my review.

As of right now by the looks and using it on my breakfast burrito I would say I will be using this for a very long time. Remember this isn't the first spork Light My Fire has ever made. They have been around for a very long time.