Light My Fire Spork Titanium

A highly durable and highly practical eating utensil.

Price Paid: $13 USD

Summary

A highly durable and highly practical eating utensil. It’s as simple as that.

Pros

• Durability, particularly compared to the plastic version
  • Practical for many uses
  • Feel of the finish in both the mouth and hand

Cons

• A little bit longer would be ideal

Reviewer's Note:
In July 2015, I reviewed the plastic version of this spork, which I was generally pleased with at the time. In March 2017, I updated that review to reflect some of the breaking issues that had occurred with the plastic. I purchased a titanium version of the spork in April 2017 and have used it extensively since, while three of the four plastic sporks have now broke. Recently, I purchased a second titanium spork because my wife and I were tired of fighting over who got the titanium one and who was stuck with the plastic one.

Conditions:
Most of my use with this spork is actually away from the trail, as I take it to the office nearly every day, no matter what I take for lunch. It’s also a great conversation starter, as a lot of people have asked about it. I’ve also used it plenty of times on the trail, at tailgating events, and around the campsite as well.

Usage:
Similar to how I used the plastic ones before they broke, I use the fork end the most (pastas, salads, etc.), but also use the spoon end regularly (soups, breakfast cereals, stirring hot drinks, etc.). I find I don’t use the knife edge all too often, especially when out on the trail, as I typically have a sharper knife with me, but it is certainly serviceable for easier cutting and despite initial uncertainty, it does not cut your lip.

Construction & Durability:
Here’s where the titanium spork truly outshines its plastic relatives and is on par with other titanium utensils on the market. There are zero signs of wear, weakness, or over-usage on the one I’ve used well over one hundred times in the last nine months.

Similar to the plastic ones I previously used, I think the length could be a little bit longer. Part of that reason is because the longer it is, the easier it reaches the bottom of a cooking pot, mug, food pouch, etc. Also, my hands are fairly large, so small utensils feel especially small in my hand.

Recommendation:
As long as you can get over the initial shock of spending more than $10 for an eating utensil, this is well worth the cost over its plastic counterpart (yes, the plastic four-pack is typically less expensive than one titanium spork). Whether you’re on the trail or not, it’s a one-time purchase for a highly practical and very durable tool that you could use every day (that is, unless you use your hands to eat food).

FlipNC

Nice review. I had the same issues with the plastic version but went to a folding spork just out of personal preference not to eat off both ends that I sometimes need during 1 meal. This looks like a great alternative and good design.

1 month ago

Nice review, Kiwi!

Nice review. Of course, now I have music by The Doors running through my head.

A great example of "Penny wise, pound foolish." I…

Summary

A great example of "Penny wise, pound foolish."

Pros

• A perfect backcountry tool

Cons

• Nothing

I think when a lot of people get in to camping and backpacking the prices make them blink. "14 bucks for a freaking spoon? I'll grab a couple of these plastics ones for 5 bucks." And then the spoons break so they buy more. If they get in to it, eventually they start seeing the wisdom in spending the money to "buy it once."

If you're researching sporks this is the one to buy. Once.

Less than an ounce, rock solid, perfect form, cleans easily, and unless you lose it, could be the last spork you buy.

It also has a way better "feel" than plastic and, while I don't have any scientific data to confirm this, I'm pretty sure it makes food taste better.

Rob R

I have seen these for $10.99 at Natural Grocers at the checkout. I don't have any affiliation to NG, just saying.

I have a titanium long spoon to get into the bottom of the bag. Thanks for posting, TJ.

FromSagetoSnow

Can it reach into the bottom of a freeze-dried dinner without getting your fingers messy?

T.J.

Nope. :) A little bag tilting or eating out of a bowl or pot is in order. I usually carry a GSI Soloist which comes with an insulated bowl.

FromSagetoSnow

Cool, I carry the same bowl

KiwiKlimber

I've been using the plastic ones for a while, but think it's time to upgrade. One plastic one snapped in half and another busted a tine. It's between this and a Snow Peak spork.

Dr. Bryan Ryles

Thanks for the review, TJ; I have the same one I bought a year ago, and fully agree, it's the best one out there. The knife section works great and stays sharp to cut up my morning vegan sausage! I keep mine in a lightweight zip lock bag with my cooking gear: it keeps the fork part from cutting into the sil stuff sack with my other gear.

The Light My Fire titanium spork is a handsome blend…

Summary

The Light My Fire titanium spork is a handsome blend of form and function, light weight and strength. If you are counting ounces for the trail, and need a spork that will not melt or break, "fork" over for this one.

Pros

• Strong
  • High bling factor

Cons

• Not cheap- $13
  • Scratches non-stick surfaces
  • Does not float
  • Small

17 grams, 7 inches, titanium. This Spork is not a one-ended spoon with little nubs in it. It is a gracefully arched handle with a spoon on one end and a fork on the other.

The fork end is modified a bit with a serrated flat on the last tine for a makeshift knife edge. All edges are just dull enough to not poke a hole in your dry-bag. The knife function is kind of a bonus but bring a steakknife if you like your fillet well done.

I have broken several plastic versions of this design but have been using this Ti version for 7 years and just bought another to have a pair. Probably it will scratch non-stick coated cookware. Being made of Ti, you can heat it in a fire to sterilize or clean it. I heated mine red hot to get a cool blued metal color. It will not rust. Wish they made a larger version as well.

It's a metal spork. I use to have two plastic versions…

Price Paid: can't remember

Summary

It's a metal spork.

Pros

• Won't break
  • The spoon works
  • The fork works

I use to have two plastic versions of these until two cold mornings, and two cups of thick oatmeal broke them in half (plastic is very brittle in the cold). Luckily, the titanium version doesn't have that problem. I've owned this spork for a few years now and it still works like the day I got it.

Great backcountry eating utensil. The Light My Fire…

Summary

Great backcountry eating utensil.

Pros

• Metal, so won't melt on hot pans
  • Fork, spoon, and knife, so you only need to carry one utensil.

Cons

• Heavier than the plastic LMF spork
  • For thick stuff like steak one needs a separate knife

The Light My Fire Spork is a wonderful addition to your backcountry gear. I use this spork on my scout troop's monthly outings and have never been let down.

The spork combines three utensil into one handy to pack spork. On one end is the spoon and the other a fork with serrations down one side of the fork. This is a wonderful peice of gear for all but the most stringest ounce-counters. The titanium is expensive but worth it because of its durability and long-life.

I also used the spork for an overnighter on the Art Loeb trail and it worked amazingly storing in pack and working for every food we ate.  The only con would be the fact with thick food you need to use a separate knife.

Bottom Line: This is great piece of gear that will for a long time and always be there when you need it.

Received Light My Fire Spork Titanium today. I used…

Summary

Received Light My Fire Spork Titanium today. I used it on a great Mexican burrito; it was very sturdy looks great and is reasonably priced.

Pros

• Very strong

Cons

• None to date

I will be using this soon. It's still winter in Wyoming and I'm not a winter weather guy. So, as soon as I go hiking I will be updating my review.

As of right now by the looks and using it on my breakfast burrito I would say I will be using this for a very long time. Remember this isn't the first spork Light My Fire has ever made. They have been around for a very long time.