Limmer Mid-Weight

Available sizes
Women's sizes 5 - 9.5,10
Men's sizes 5.5 - 11.5,12,13,14,15,16
Men's wide sizes 5.5 - 12,13,14,15,16

I backpack and day hike mostly solo, and have gimpy…

Materials: leather and leather lined
Use: extended backpack, rough trail, dayhikes
Break-in Period: about 40 miles
Weight: 3 pounds

I backpack and day hike mostly solo, and have gimpy knees, so I am concerned about support. I knew Limmers had a great rep so I thought I'd try a pair. Not the custom, but standard-sized line of midweight. Boy I was not disappointed!

I'm 55, maybe a bit of old school, but I love the feel of quality leather on my feet, and I trust that. I actually enjoy the experience of boots breaking into my feet during break-in period. Expert workmanship plus quality leather means a boot I can walk in all day, day after day, and no blisters or discomfort.

They are heavy by many folks' standard today, but I found I got used to that. It's a compromise in getting the stability and incredible fit. The fit is due to the leather that molds on your feet over use/time, and yes there is a break-in required that many of the modern lightweight materials do not have, but you can't beat the fit.

I use gaitors, low for dry day hikes, high for backpack and wet hiking. With those, and keeping my boots treated with Limmers' boot grease, they are absolutely waterproof. I walk through trickling streams and swamp with no problem. The grease treatment doesn't begin to wear off until several rough trips have gone by. They protect my ankles well over talus and loose rock trails, no knee issues at all.

I would agree with other owners, that this "midweight" is a heavy midweight. It will take a lot of punishment! I've no doubt that Limmer lightweights would easily suit most people's needs for a midweight backpacking boot. This was a wise investment.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All Mid-Weight versions

In addition to the 1 men's review above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Mid-Weight. Read all reviews »

Limmer Men's Mid-Weight

The Limmer Men's Mid-Weight is not available from the stores we monitor.