Lowa Weisshorn GTX

These boots are superb for technical mountaineering…

Summary

These boots are superb for technical mountaineering and ice climbing.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Climbing performance snow, ice and rock (exception to wet rock)
  • Lace eyelet locking system allows boot to be tightened in three sections
  • Warm
  • Good rocker and stiff sole with just enough flex in toe

These boots saw extensive use this past season in New Hampshire's White Mountains ranging from backcountry technical mountaineering climbs to general redline mountaineering on the trail. For me, these were an evolution in boots up from the Lowa Mountain Expert GTX, which is also a great boot for more general mountaineering. The Weisshorns are basically the Mtn Expert on steroids.

I'm an 8 1/2 and went with a 9 as it appeared sizing up was the best option. Weisshorns seem a bit wider in the forefoot compared to Nepals. Very comfortable with little to no hot spots or heel lift and outstanding climbing performance on WI2 and WI3 ice and snow. 10+ miles hikes go without a hitch as there is just enough flex in toe to allow comfortable hiking on flat, uneven and rocky terrain.

These boots were the warmest at temperatures 0 and above, yet as long as I didn't remain stationary for more than 10-15 minutes temps down to -20 F were manageable even in less than 1' of snow. Waterproofing appears to stay true even in 1' of wet spring snow, although I assume at some point I will have to treat them (leather boots). Crampons compatibility great with BD Cyborg Pro and Serac hybrid crampons.

The harshest criticism I have thus far is that the removable tongue can be a bit annoying to adjust upon the first outing. The right tongue sat differently in the boot as oppose to the left as it was perfectly flush against the top of the boot and the left tongue was sticking down onto the top of my left toes. I found if I moved the left tongue forward in the boot so the edge lined up perfectly with the tips of my toes, the problem was solved and I still had plenty of room to wiggle.

If you've owned or used a Lowa Weisshorn GTX, please share your experience.