Mammut Rime Pro Jacket

A good all around synthetic down jacket for casual…

Summary

A good all around synthetic down jacket for casual and athletic use. Recommended for anyone needing an entry level synthetic down to keep them warm around town or on the trail.

Pros

• Warm and comfortable
  • Big adjustable hood

Cons

• The zipper sucks

Fit & Comfort:

The fit for me is pretty good. I'm 6'4" so my biggest concern was the length of the arm. After trying out a Large Arc'teryx Atom LT I decided I would get XL since the Large had a short arm length and didn't reach all the way to the bottom of my wrist. The chest and waist are a bit big for my skinny body. I think for an average size person the fit would feel normal.

Adjustability

The huge hood has good adjustability. It has two adjustment points in the front and one in the back.

IMG_2845v.jpg

There are also two adjustment points at the waist of the jacket.

Water Resistance

It has a decent DWR finish suitable for keeping snow off of it. I don't expect this jacket to handle well in rain but I haven't tested.

Breathability and Moisture:

The Rime Pro performs pretty decently for breathability and moisture wicking. Below freezing it does very well but above that your arms and body feel humid and moist.

Warmth

This jacket provides excellent warmth. It was -10°F + wind in the morning on time and when I paired it with a shell my upper body was perfectly warm. The only cold part was my face with the hood on because it was the only part that was left exposed.

Depending on the temperature and how much athletic activity you're doing this jacket will either be perfect or really hot. Hikes at 40°F I had to unzip because I was getting too hot, but at 30°F and below I could hike with just the jacket.

The down is Ajungilak OTI Climate (Mammut's own brand) so I couldn't find a lot of information regarding the fill.

Layering

When It gets real cold I put my Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket over it. It may not be the best shell, but it gets the job done when it's below freezing. Combining this jacket + a hardshell is an excellent combo for warmth and weather resistance.

Abrasion:

The fabric is very soft and comfy. Initially I was very worried of the fabric tearing because it felt so soft. I went hiking up to a cave which involved rubbing against lots of sharp pointy rocks and branches. I was genuinely worried as I was squeezing through small spaces that my jacket would tear and rip. Much to my surprise none of that happened. I thoroughly inspected the outside fabric after the hike and found NO tears, nicks, rips, or abrasions.  The durability of the Pertex Quantum fabric was excellent.

Function:

The zippers on this are the biggest downfall of this jacket. The main zipper is two-way and can be an absolute pain in the neck to zip up. You have to make sure that both sliders are tightly held together as you load it into the teeth. Even after months of use I still have difficulties zipping it up sometimes. Other than the front main zipper, all other zippers work fine.

You sometimes will look like Wenger trying to zip up his jacket.

ibNiu4VzC93M7.gif

Construction & Durability

As mentioned before, the jacket held up to abrasion pretty well. Construction is pretty good also. I've only had a few stray strings/frays and that is mostly around the cuffs.

After three months of wear I washed it to get rid of all food scent, campfire funk, etc. I used Grangers performance wash. I used one capful and hand washed it thoroughly. I squeezed all the water out and put it out to hang/air dry outside. It retained its loftiness and the DWR was restored. There were no issues after washing it.

Features:

Two hand warmer pockets

Chest zip

Two internal webbed pockets.

Nice review! Thanks for sharing it!

Jake W

Great review!

On Sale. Free Shipping. Mammut Men's Rime Pro Jacket FEATURES of the Mammut Men's Rime Pro Jacket Pertex Endurance material with coating: Particularly water-resistant material on the arms, shoulders and hood Innovative synthetic fiber filling with ideal heat properties for stop and go activities, based on Ajungilak 2-Phase-Technology Wide cut to allow the jacket to be worn over a Hard Shell as well Anatomically tailored, adjustable and helmet-compatible hood Articulated elbows Velcro cuffs 2 side pockets with zips 1 front zip pocket Chin protection 2 Powermesh inner pockets 2-way front zip Areas of Use: Mixed- and Iceclimbing, Classical Alpinism, Bouldering / Urban Climbing SPECIFICATIONS of the Mammut Men's Rime Pro Jacket Weight: 540 gram Main Fabric: Pertex Quantum Face Material: 100% Polyamide, 100% Polyester Filling: Ajungilak OTI Climate

The unique combination of Pertex shell fabrics and synthetic insulation allow the Men's Mammut Rime Pro Jacket to regulate temperature during high exertion activities and provide remarkable warmth when stationary. So whether your braving freezing temps climbing boulders in Bishop's Buttermilks or embarking on a late fall trek in the northeast, the highly compressible Rime Jacket is sure to be your new best friend.

Mammut Rime Pro Jacket for MenMake a fashion statement with the Mammut Rime Pro Jacket for Men. This jacket is made with pertex endurance material, which makes this product long-lasting and durable. The water-resistant material on the arms, shoulders and hood, keep you dry in case of rain. The Mammut jacket comes with innovative synthetic fiber filling and with ideal heat properties for stop and go activities, based on ajungilak 2-phase-technology to keep you warm. The wide cut allows the jacket to be worn over a hard shell as well. This jacket is anatomically tailored, adjustable and has a helmet-compatible hood. The articulated elbows provide comfort. The velcro cuffs are easy to open or close. This product comes with 2 side pockets with zips, a front zip pocket and 2 way front zips, to keep your items safe. Keep your face warm thanks to the chin protection. Don't forget to purchase the Mammut Rime Pro Jacket for Men and stay one step ahead of the cold.

- SunnySports

The Mammut Rime Pro Jacket has the best heat to weight ratio for demanding stop-and-start activities. With this jacket you will no longer have overheating and cooling - It is the perfect companion for challenging alpine tours, or for everyday wear.

- CampSaver.com

CLOSEOUTS . Mammutand#39;s Rime Pro jacket delivers the same stop-and-start climate control benefits of its predecessor, with an attached hood and extra waterproofness for alpine activities. Available Colors: BLACK, CRUISE, IVY/BISON, YELLOW, INFERNO, BISON, YOLK. Sizes: XS, M, XL, S, L, 2XL.

- Sierra Trading Post